Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 6:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hakko Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning again...

I practiced Hakko Ryu Jujitsu a long time ago.I would like to start practicing again. I had learned the first 20 techniques and I would like to practice them again. I remember a few of them and have been practicing them.

Is there anywhere where I can look at each of these techniques? Even just a brief description of each should be enough to jog my memory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 2:00am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try youtube! Everything is on youtube and if all you need is a push start to remember techniques, it should be sufficient enough.

I am assuming you are intending on going back to a class to train. I in no way mean to imply you should train via youtube. But if you just want to get that start like you said, try it out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2011 12:27pm

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could borrow the following books from your local library, if youtube isn't your thing...

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 5:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    12/13/2011 1:04am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you planning on going back to a school for it again or just looking to rekindle something from the past with a little self-teaching?

I don't know if this matters at all but I did get a shodan or whatever in Hakkoryu from Larry Garron (I had a bad break with my own teacher, his student and haven't trained in years but if you want to you can verify that for yourself, sorry, I left my cert in the USA)

If the former, then you'd get more out of just going back and starting over again which is what any decent school would make you do with or without the home-learning (granted with the knowledge you may advance quicker than the typical newbie).

If the latter, don't. Just quit now or find something else to study you can actually learn at a school with. It's a waste of time practicing these moves without a partner, resisting or not. And regardless of if you've actually found a dummy to do this with you, unless one of you is more qualified then you're going to just train sloppy technique and bad habit.

If there's no schools near you do Judo. If you REALLY REALLY want to do Hakko then find an Aikido school or something they're very similar in the basic techniques field and even wear the same pants (and are more widespread and popular so easier to find).

Posted On:
    12/13/2011 1:31am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you located? If you aren't aware of any Hakko groups advertised in your area some of us here might know of some small groups in your area.

Is there any reason you want to learn Hakkoryu? I've tried it a little and it was too traditional for my taste. Some of the throws like Hekke Nagi (spelling?) don't seem to really work as they are trained. I feel like they may be more useful educate the tori about the mechanics of off balancing the opponent rather than actual combat techniques. I only trained the system for a little over 6 months so I have a limited understanding but I still do occasionally train with that JJJ group.

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 1:25am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Hakko for maybe 4-5 years (maybe more, maybe?) and I still use some of the stuff I learned in my time there... on my Grade 5 school kids when they wrestle and **** during lunch. A lot of the wrist-y things are cool and so long as the other guy isn't too much stronger you can pull 'em off. The thing is, a lot of their throws seems to be reliant on a pain-off-balancing system either from locks or from pressure points and not a lot of them really work (or I haven't been able to apply them in randori in other places)

I liken it a LOT to Aikido (To my knowledge they both come from the same mother-school) where it will teach you a lot about different joints, their workings, neat tricks that you can use in a pinch, but the training methods and as a result a few of their techniques are pretty rubbish for real-world-application (usually).

I liked it, it was fun and the wrist and arm locks are the fun little surprises I love using on my friends and students (like magic tricks, but they hurt) and there's definite value for a casual hobbyist who likes Japanese JJ and finds Aikido too hippy-ish. Just bear in mind that you're not going to use this **** on the streets in a confrontation unless you're already faster/stronger/bigger than the other guy or do Judo too.

Actually... speaking of Judo it was right around my ikkyu or something in Hakko that I started Judo, and not to ramble, but from that day forward when we did "free" attack and defense practice my favorite counter were inevitably "Stop the wrist lock, and Judo Throw" pissed most people off... hehehe