Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 10:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fake BJJ Black Belt Austin TX??

Hey Everyone,

I received a business card the other day for Perdigon MMA. I went to the website and the coach, Andrew Miura, is stating that he has a "Masters Black Belt" in BJJ and a "Black and Red Masters Band" in Muay Thai.

I have never heard of this guy and searched the internet to find out who he got his black belt and black band from and nothing came up.

Is he legit or a fake?? Will BULLSHIDO take the case??

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah and here is the website:

http://perdigonmma.mosaicglobe.com/page/32868

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the MABS guidelines and you will have your answer. It's expected you actually do some work yourself, not just use Bullshido.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Master Miura started his career as a mixed martial artist at the age of 14 when he was introduced to kickboxing at a local gym. A few years later he discovered the fascinating arts of Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Upon entering the US Army at 19 he continued in his studies of a wide variety of martial arts,including Krav Maga, Haganna and hand to hand combat. He also earned the distinguished rank of Army Ranger. Master Miura holds a Black/Red masters band in Muay Thai and a masters Black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Master Miura has been instructing mixed martial arts for over 20 years with a focus on the striking accuracy of Muay Thai and the dominate submissions of BJJ. At Perdigon MMA ,Master Miura's goal is to instruct in all combative martial arts with a focus on self awareness, discipline and body composition.
    Just because someone says they have a black belt is no reason to call them fake. I would recommend checking out his school and asking the gentleman who his instructors were, specifically who gave him the ranks. If he can't/won't answer those questions, then maybe it could be sketchy. I know there are some quality gyms in Austin, so if he competes it should be pretty obvious what level he rolls at.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some searching in the forums and I did not see anything about him. Unless I missed something, sorry if I broke some of the forum rules.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do have some additional information. I spoke to my BJJ coach and he knows Andrew. He said that Andrew trained with him twice in 2008. He said that Andrew came to one gi class and did not like the gi because he was more of an MMA guy. He was surprised to hear Andrew stated he had a black belt because 3-4 years is a fast transition from where he was to black belt.

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:28pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it wouldn't surprise me to find out he's a fraud. Anyone who has ever served in the army knows that "Ranger" is not a rank; instead it signifies completion of a service school. A ranger can be any rank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:33pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    Just because someone says they have a black belt is no reason to call them fake. I would recommend checking out his school and asking the gentleman who his instructors were, specifically who gave him the ranks. If he can't/won't answer those questions, then maybe it could be sketchy. I know there are some quality gyms in Austin, so if he competes it should be pretty obvious what level he rolls at.

Not saying anything one way or another, but don't most BB proclaim proudly who gave them their BB when they are pimping themselves on their website? I usually find it fishy when they omit info like that. Just saying...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 2:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach has on his website his BJJ lineage. I think most people would, just to show they are not hiding anything. My coach says that he "thinks" he remembers Andrew wearing a white belt in his class in 2008.

I also put in an email asking Andrew Miura about his lineage and affiliation today. I will keep you posted on his reply.
    Last edited by Boom; 9/08/2011 2:56pm at . Reason: additional info

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 3:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Andrew Miura's reply to my question on his lineage and affiliation:

First, I teach all the BJJ classes at my Dojo. I am affiliated with the Pits Penn Submission School out of New Jersey and am a Black Belt in BJJ with over 20 years experience. I also have been banded as a master level instructor (black/red arm band) in Muay Thai. I served 10 years in the Army as an Airborne Ranger and have had extensive training in Krav Maga and other combative arts.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast