I am looking for a good school for my son (3.5 years old). I was hoping to get him started some time between 4 and 6.

I myself studied at the Ju-Jitsu Dojo of Columbia under Pat Raphael (I'd link, but the site doesn't let me).

They don't start until age 6, which is fine. They are a little farther (like 15 minutes), and I saw ads for the American Academy of Martial Arts recently - which is located less than a mile from my house. (Once again, I can't post links yet - but it's A A M A Blackbelt dot com)

I found a thread on here (thread #100016 - can't link) - which seemed to call their claims into question. Considering I had some doubts to begin with, I thought I would try and restart the conversation. I've studied a few martial arts, although Ju-Jitsu (Japanese, not Brazilian) was the one I spent the most time with. I have also studied Escrima and Muay Thai - I really like the more practical combat arts, preferably ones that are scalable (I liked Ju-Jitsu's ability to use minor pressure points or leverage to try and diffuse a situation or escalate to joint locks, or strikes, or throws). I also want the school to be smart (reasonable regarding when to use force, when to talk, when to try and flee, etc...). I had always had doubts regarding the nature of ninjitsu - having read too many articles with the position that it was a fictional mass-media creation.

Any advice or experience with the school would be much appreciated

Thanks
schreier