Page 35 of 38 First ... 253132333435363738 Last
  1. #341
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,008
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by exposingkfrauds View Post
    If you can close the gap as a grappler, striking really isn't necessary...
    If you can keep the fight standing, grappling really isn't necessary.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  2. #342
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by exposingkfrauds View Post
    If you can close the gap as a grappler, striking really isn't necessary...
    If this were the case, Royce Gracie would never have learned Muay Thai.

    Oh and this:


  3. #343
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,259
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Maybe he wants to be at that weight.

    There are advantages to being huge.
    Such as?

  4. #344
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,837
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Such as?
    Being underestimated?

  5. #345
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,259
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Being underestimated?
    That works for little guys too.

    I want to know what kind of "unique fighting advantage" a guy gets from being 300lbs overweight.

  6. #346
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    1,715
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    That works for little guys too.

    I want to know what kind of "unique fighting advantage" a guy gets from being 300lbs overweight.
    He knows he's fighting for his life; fight too long, and he risks a heart attack, or seriously injuring a muscle. He's going to be looking to end the fight as quickly and brutally as he can because he knows he has to end it quick.

    Sent from my VS920 4G using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app (please send me money)

  7. #347
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,259
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    He knows he's fighting for his life; fight too long, and he risks a heart attack, or seriously injuring a muscle. He's going to be looking to end the fight as quickly and brutally as he can because he knows he has to end it quick.
    That is sort of my point. Fat-Fuggasaurus is an opponenet you can beat with physical exertion alone. Dance around, make him come after you and watch as gravity and entropy kick his ass while you get some light cardio.

    "Fighting without fighting". Bruce Lee would be proud...

  8. #348
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    1,715
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    That is sort of my point. Fat-Fuggasaurus is an opponenet you can beat with physical exertion alone. Dance around, make him come after you and watch as gravity and entropy kick his ass while you get some light cardio.

    "Fighting without fighting". Bruce Lee would be proud...
    I'm still giving the advantage to the fat guy due to primal instance and adrenaline rush. A morbidly obese man still may be able to rush his opponent.

    How many street fights has Bruce Lee been in with 300 lb overweight men?

    Sent from my VS920 4G using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app (please send me money)

  9. #349
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,259
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I'm still giving the advantage to the fat guy due to primal instance and adrenaline rush. A morbidly obese man still may be able to rush his opponent.
    And if you're worth half a **** as a stand up fighter you can get out of the way while fatso gasses out trying to catch you.

    So your argument is "fatso has an advatange because he's out of shape that his only option is a hail mary pass of agro rage"?

    So what's to stop a smaller guy from going all out agro?

    You ever been overweight? It is not an advantage to ANY phsyical activity other than cheese rolling.

    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    How many street fights has Bruce Lee been in with 300 lb overweight men?
    **** Bruce Lee. I was just quoting a famous line of his in a movie that matched the sentiment of this conversation.

    How many street fights have you been in with morbidly obese men?

  10. #350

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    236
    Style
    Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    If this were the case, Royce Gracie would never have learned Muay Thai.

    Oh and this:

    To be fair, Royce took the damage after the ref separated them and stood them up when the fight went into overtime (a first in the UFC at this time). After fighting on the ground for some time he was too tired to be able to dodge as quickly as at the start of the fight when he was able to avoid the strikes and take Shamrock down.

    On the other hand he had thrown a few strikes in the UFC up to this though mainly as a set-up to keep his opponent wary and I think he won one fight using an early version of ground and pound - or was it more arm pin and punch ;)

    I agree with the point though as the phrase "if you can close the distance" also implies the possibility of "if you can't close the distance"...
    Last edited by Dork Angel; 7/31/2013 7:48pm at . Reason: expanded

Page 35 of 38 First ... 253132333435363738 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO