Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are they wearing MMA gloves?

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 12:15pm

Style: Humbleness

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I'd rather be in great shape with mediocre form than terrible shape with great form.
    You are wrong young student

"The totally awakened warrior can freely utilize all elements contained in heaven and earth. The true warrior learns how to correctly perceive the activity of the universe and how to transform martial techniques into vehicles of purity, goodness, and beauty. A warrior's mind and body must be permeated with enlightened wisdom and deep calm. "

Name:  osensei13.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  12.3 KB

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 6:37pm

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie McGee View Post
    So it's exactly the same, but they just changed the soundtrack? I'd take Billy Blanks over Skrillex any day.
    Well there are a few differences, mainly that Tae Bo is designed to be done at home on your own in front of a TV while Body Combat is designed to be done in a studio and led by a live instructor. Because you can get feedback from a live instructor they can do more complicated combo's and technique correction. They tend to use real music rather than generic 4x8 aerobic music and you won't hear someone counting to 8 all the way through it. From what I watched of the Billy Banks stuff it's still got a very aerobic feel to it that I don't think you get in Body Combat. You're not going to see a step-touch in Body Combat for example.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Why are they wearing MMA gloves?
    As well as the workout, Body Combat is very much about the experience and instructors often dress the part. Since Body Combat borrows from different Martial Arts (mainly Boxing, Kick-boxing, Karate, Muay Thai and TKD, it has also included Capoeira, Kung Fu and BJJ) it is marketed as a MMA style workout. MMA style shorts allow flexibility for kicking and stretching. Some instructors go for the full MMA "look". Personally I prefer to wear hand wraps while teaching as they are much better at soaking up sweat. We are also encouraged to try and capture a little of the flavour of the styles we use. EG. Boxing - tight guard, very focused on a single target. Karate - wider, deeper stances with more upright posture. Capoeira - flowing continuous movements. I stress though that this is not marketed as a real Martial Art but as a Martial Arts based Fitness Workout.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I'd rather be in great shape with mediocre form than terrible shape with great form.

I agree. Would you rather be the fat bloke doing precise kata movements or the in-shape pro boxer whose punches are a bit sloppy... ;)

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 7:23pm

Style: Humbleness

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Angel View Post
    I agree. Would you rather be the fat bloke doing precise kata movements or the in-shape pro boxer whose punches are a bit sloppy... ;)
    I would rather be the dude with very good thai boxing who sparred a lot, has a lot of hard contact fighting under his belt and has drilled his combos over and over but is out of shape after some time than the dude who is has great cardio and very well defined abs because he punches the air all day long

Even better take a judoka or Bjj dude who is out of shape vs an awesome air puncher and tell me how your awesome cardio protects your spine when a perfectly executed osoto gari or double leg takedown makes you know gravity

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 7:39pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't we just say we train striking because it's fun?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 7:44pm

Style: Thai Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Angel View Post
    So you're saying your air punches are comparable to those of a pro boxer?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2013 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wrote the same thing earlier and somehow it didn't carry the same weight. My new watchword is "Blunt". No, not that one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 11:57am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    I would rather be the dude with very good thai boxing who sparred a lot, has a lot of hard contact fighting under his belt and has drilled his combos over and over but is out of shape after some time than the dude who is has great cardio and very well defined abs because he punches the air all day long

Even better take a judoka or Bjj dude who is out of shape vs an awesome air puncher and tell me how your awesome cardio protects your spine when a perfectly executed osoto gari or double leg takedown makes you know gravity
    That wasn't the point or one of the options, but I'll play along.

I would protect my spine by using my awesome cardio to run away just fast enough so he thinks he can catch me. Then when he gasses out trying I would turn round and use my own ju-jitsu skills to finish him off. :P
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182425262728 29303132 ... LastLast