Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 3:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: just a smattering

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Striking

Because everybody has a plan until they get their nose crushed into their face, and striking is real world effective, rolling around on the glass covered concrete sucks :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 4:38am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardroppings View Post
    Because everybody has a plan until they get their nose crushed into their face, and striking is real world effective, rolling around on the glass covered concrete sucks :)
    **** man, you've opened my eyes to reality. Its so shiny here...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 7:57am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by troyb78 View Post
    I still think going to the ground is a bad idea if you don't need to, or if you do end up on the ground, you should employ "dirty grappling" to help get back onto your feet. Please understand I am purely referring to non sport fighting where striking and good knowledge and training in all ranges of combat is critical. Oh yeah Jspeedy if you are there and not squeezing youself right now, I've just looked at all my previous posts and can't seem to find where I claim to know everthing about BJJ?
    Going to the ground is only a bad idea if you don't know what you are doing once you get there. Most fights end up going to the ground, anyway, because gravity is a fickle little bitch who likes to jump into the fight whenever one guy gets the other guy too off-balance.

"Dirty grappling" (and I haven't read the whole thread so I'm going to assume you mean the eye gouge, fishhook, small joint, pain techniques) is only your best option if you don't know what you are doing on the ground. Breaking someone's pinky or biting their nose might get them to let you up, or they might just get really pissed off. Choking someone unconscious pretty much only leads to them being unconscious.

Watch some of the old UFCs and you'll see that quick submissions are certainly possible; **** only takes time now because people are better versed in grappling and won't just give you their neck or their arm. On the street, one can assume that your typical attacker won't be a professional fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 8:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by troyb78 View Post
    Yes, I agree many fights end up on the ground (or someone ends up on the ground) but I'm sure that almost all fights start standing up.
    Not if you shout out her sisters name they dont.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 8:53pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only experienced someone going to the ground in 2 fights. Both times it was me. Once when I got KO'd and once when the dude dragged me to the ground. Both of these times the enemy remained on their feet. All the other fights I was in or saw never went to the ground.

I don't think you can really put a statistic to prove one way or the other. If you're talking about drunken brawls, yeah, it'll end up on the ground.

As far as grappling goes,,,,, Why be concerned about your opponents friends? It doesn't matter if you're squared off or rolling. They're going to jump in sooner or later. It's a loose loose situation. It does seem better suited if you're able to choke them or break something in a few seconds and then deal with the other guys as the situation calls.

And, I wonder. Isn't it possible to use the guy you just put to sleep as a shield?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 9:29pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes I think we should have our height and weights under our style field. It would help out with these types of discussions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 9:35pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Sometimes I think we should have our height and weights under our style field. It would help out with these types of discussions.
    I'm 6'1" 205#. LOL, last fight I had was when I was 16 and weighed 140.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 10:38pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bas Rutten got jumped by 3 people, choked a dude out while the other 2 wailed on him. So it's possible, but none of us are Bas. I think if you're gonna get jumped, it's more important what size/skill level they are than what size/skill level you are, and if they can get to you cleanly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 10:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    Bas Rutten got jumped by 3 people, choked a dude out while the other 2 wailed on him. So it's possible, but none of us are Bas. I think if you're gonna get jumped, it's more important what size/skill level they are than what size/skill level you are, and if they can get to you cleanly.
    So being a 6"0 270lb grappler is less important than if they're big?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2011 11:02pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't answer that question directly. I said size/skill level. Either way, their abilities and size are more important than the guy getting jumped. I don't mean to say it's all that matters, I'm sure the guys that jumped Bas weren't little fellers.