Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:29pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkuff View Post
    judoka_uk and The Juggernoob.

Sooo... you guys have your PhD?! Cool! Where'd you study? I'm still looking into grad school, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm glad to see some doctors who, obviously, don't take themselves too serious. Like, at all.

Maybe you can put your education to use and offer me some, you know, input beyond misspelling my name? Let's start with: exactly what's pseudo-intellectual about statements like, "lots of people carry knives, nobody wants to get stabbed, so people prefer to keep their distance during a brawl?"

I wouldn't even call that pseudo-intellectiual.
    I'd call that a casual observation.
    Like I said, it's not my best writing.

--- Ashkuff | http://ashkuff.com/ | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship, and into action? One anthropologist tackles occultism, violence, and more! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.
    Wow, took that personally huh. I cant speak for Judoka, but you must understand that what he said is true from an academic point of view. Without a PhD your opinions will be pissed upon from the mighty peer reviews above.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:09pm

Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    Wow, took that personally huh. I cant speak for Judoka, but you must understand that what he said is true from an academic point of view. Without a PhD your opinions will be pissed upon from the mighty peer reviews above.
    (sighs heavily) Maybe you'e right.
    I didn't mean to take that too personally.
    Still easing into Bullshido's "culture." Heh.

Admittedly, in many ways, you're correct. People respect PhDs, and I'm working towards that goal. In the meantime, I'll have to make due. Of course, not all academic circles are equally pretentious. Anthropologists generally understand that the truth of a statement doesn't come from your credentials, its comes from your logic and methods.

I joined Bullshido hoping it wouldn't be pretentious.
    And, for the most part, I'm thankful it's not!

Anyway, back on topic, grappling's great! I grapple. Hell, I even train a little Judo. But to reiterate, I know a lot of people from a few places that prefer to strike, because lotsa people carry knives where they're from, no one wants to get stabbed, and it seems wise to keep your distance. (shrugs to self) Rational or not, that's their reasoning.

--- Ashkuff | http://ashkuff.com/ | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship, and into action? One anthropologist tackles occultism, violence, and more! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The effects of knife crime on how people defend themselves is interesting. Recently we had a quite successful Kung Fu teacher claim to be able to takedown a Knife wielding assailant. He was proven wrong, and taken down himself by someone without any training, or a knife.

Id love to see some statistics concerning injuries attained in knife related violence concerning those with and without training.

I have a suspicion that a large portion of the TMA community actual leave themselves more vulnerable through their naivete.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:27pm

Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernoob View Post
    The effects of knife crime on how people defend themselves is interesting...

Id love to see some statistics concerning injuries attained in knife related violence concerning those with and without training.
    Interesting.
    Yeah, I'd like to see that kind of data, too.

I think the reasoning in these communities isn't "let's strike so we can disarm a knife." The reasoning is more like "let's strike so, if somebody pulls a knife, I'll have the option to back away without having to untangle myself." Again, of course, conjecture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Valid point, that's a logical response to the possiblity of every fight being a potential fatality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 10:02pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    All you need to do to nullify a striker is cover up, close the distance and grab him.
    But all you need to do in order to nullify someone covering up and advancing is the straight blast--so I guess I agree with you, I don't see why people spend so many hours when all they need is the straight blast. Bruce Lee used it and Vitor Belfort used it in the cage, so its dominance is irrefutable.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 10:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hsing i, FMA's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think when it comes to the knife it is how you block that matters - there is a very good chance you are going to get cut whatever you do, and how you limit the damage is what matters.
    i have been taught to block and strip using the outside of the arm and back of the hand if possible to protect the tendons etc. on the inside - the idea being as im sure you all know, at least you can still close the hand and grip if you need to.
    all a deviation from the OP i believe,
    in a knife situation i would want to be able to seize/control more than strike unless you can just knock the bugger out which cant usually be garanteed

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 10:56am

Style: Bagua/Streetfighting/WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking good is important as well, and grappling outdoors ruins your clothes

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 3:01pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually found grappling with a guy who has a knife is smarter than standing with him. Wrist control is by far a better application in that situation than waiting for a stab/slash and trying to block/dodge it.

However, grappling with a guy who pulls a knife out while your trying to work something almost always ends badly for you.
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast