9/19/2011 3:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post

Ah, Da Streetz. Old but Gold.

No grappling.
    I fucking love that vid. Esp when that old Mama-san starts screaming at the end.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 3:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d View Post
    I took my 8 year old son to a professional wrestling taping last night. As I looked in horror at the assorted hambeasts around me, and struggled with how I would tell his mother where he learned seven new words, he asked me, "Is wrestling real?".

My answer, "If I was to hit someone in the head, they probably would not get a crowd to rally them back to their feet."

will you teach your son the secret dim mak so he can probably take people out with a headshot, just like his daddy?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 11:46am

Style: karate, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for thousands of years, across the planet, people have used punches to end the fights quickly. Everyone in the world respects a knockout puncher.
    The combat sports market pays strikers so much more money then wrestler types reflects this.
    Why get entangled in the heat of unarmed battle when a hard punch then perhaps shove his stunned head into a stone wall can prevent getting entangled. As we know, when the first flurry of punches gets you a clinch without a KO then you must grapple.

Don't just get attached to MMA-sports only thinking. Real world conflicts are messy and unpredictable, often with improvised weapons: Faster resolution can be safer.

personally, i'd rather stop a felon with my rifle first and, if unarmed, resolve with a leg or groin kick, then a face or neck punch...meaning ending it further away the better for my family.

if he's not worth killing then it's not worth fighting..walk away or talk it down

prize fighting sports or combat games, like MMA, are entirely different since it's of mutual consent and with a referee, and is viewed as entertainment.
    Last edited by charlie echo; 9/20/2011 12:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 3:47pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    I fucking love that vid. Esp when that old Mama-san starts screaming at the end.
    First time I've seen it and just, wow, aren't I glad I am the one doing boxing? :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 4:44pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie echo View Post
    if unarmed, resolve with a leg or groin kick, then a face or neck punch...

Nut shots work?

Also, when punched in the neck, my usual response is "oww, what the ****" , not "oh mighty warrior, thou hast slain me, how couldst thou have know about my achilles neck".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:19pm

Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, for the sake of good convo, I'm going to assume you're not a troll and try to answer your question. Second, I don't know about everybody else, I can really only tell you why people focus on striking in the communities I'VE worked in. Third, lots of people carry knives, nobody wants to get stabbed, so people prefer to keep their distance during a brawl.

Maybe that's irrational, maybe it's not,
    but it's how a lot of people think.

Here's a neat account of this one time all that went to Hell.
    http://ashkuff.com/akaBlog/?p=1492
    It's an older article, so it's not my best writing, but it makes the point.
    Also, "Joe" and I don't really talk anymore, but I happen to know he was just fine a year later.

--- Ashkuff | http://ashkuff.com/ | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship, and into action? One anthropologist tackles occultism, violence, and more! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ass cough, lol.

Maybe a quote from one of my university tutors will help you. He dismissively referred to a regular pundit on history on British news/ current affairs programmes as a 'jumped up Cambridge undergraduate'. Sans the Cantab status, I think that defines you rather well.

Go and get your masters, then get your PHD from proper universities and then maybe your wafflings will be taken seriously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Ass cough, lol.

Go and get your masters, then get your PHD from proper universities and then maybe your wafflings will be taken seriously.
    Academic burn...... But seriously do one Ass Guff, no one wants your pseudo-intellectual witterings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:01pm

Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judoka_uk and The Juggernoob.

Sooo... you guys have your PhD?! Cool! Where'd you study? I'm still looking into grad school, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm glad to see some doctors who, obviously, don't take themselves too serious. Like, at all.

Maybe you can put your education to use and offer me some, you know, input beyond misspelling my name? Let's start with: exactly what's pseudo-intellectual about statements like, "lots of people carry knives, nobody wants to get stabbed, so people prefer to keep their distance during a brawl?"

I wouldn't even call that pseudo-intellectiual.
    I'd call that a casual observation.
    Like I said, it's not my best writing.

--- Ashkuff | http://ashkuff.com/ | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship, and into action? One anthropologist tackles occultism, violence, and more! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by troyb78 View Post
    Because rolling around on concrete and broken glass while getting kicked in the head by bystanders while trying to perform a gogoplata retard control, triangular arm bar naked heel choke on the ground of a carpark at night, is not my idea of fun. It's much safer to stay on your feet and wreck dudes with striking and grappling defence skills. Unless of course, you like the idea of a bunch of hairy oil sheiks getting turned on and touching themselves by watching you sweaty man hug on 5000 square metres of nice comfortable futon-like mats.
    Your point is valid, but in our defense we could do something. Hapkido helps how?
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast