Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 12:11pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai Chi and Parkinson's Disease

A recent study has shown that, in Parkinson's patients practicing only Tai Chi, fall frequency was less than those doing only stretches as physical rehab. Also, the Tai Chi practitioners were more effective at increasing stride length than those doing resistance training.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...1#t=articleTop

This study was a Top 10 story of 2012 as selected by Journal Watch Neurology, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine which is the oldest continually published (and most cited among medical scientists) periodical. It would have been nice if this were double-blind instead of single-, but oh well.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 1:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    It would have been nice if this were double-blind instead of single-, but oh well.

I think you should expand on this idea.
    Please elaborate.

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Please elaborate.
    It's nothing elaborate, just the power of persuasion.

ie. If you were a part of my study on the effects of Tai Chi on Parkinson's, and I told you we were running tests because it is believed, or has been suggested by previous research, that Tai Chi may alleviate tremors, your mind may trick you into believing the frequency of your tremors has diminished. Likewise, as a doctor, my beliefs could affect to what I attribute your supposed diminished tremors.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 1:36pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's nothing elaborate, just the power of persuasion.

ie. If you were a part of my study on the effects of Tai Chi on Parkinson's, and I told you we were running tests because it is believed, or has been suggested by previous research, that Tai Chi may alleviate tremors, your mind may trick you into believing the frequency of your tremors has diminished. Likewise, as a doctor, my beliefs could affect to what I attribute your supposed diminished tremors.

Hahaha....

Ok then, how do you propose they could have made such a study "double blind"?

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha....

Ok then, how do you propose they could have made such a study "double blind"?
    You could not give the participants information about the possible effects, or even the why of the study. You could have another group of professionals aside from the ones conducting the study assess the results. Granted, this may result in a lack of information that is relevant to the goal of this study.

I didn't mean that making a study like this double-blind would be easy or feasible, only that I am curious about the possible outcomes due to psychological variables.
    Start a training log!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please elaborate.
    It's nothing elaborate
    Reading is fundamental.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 3:55pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Resistance (with weighted vests and ankle weights) was introduced at week 10. Weighted-vest resistance was initially set at 1% of body weight and was increased by approximately 1 to 2% of body weight, depending on each participant's tolerance, every fifth week until 5% of body weight was achieved.
    I don't recall ever seeing Tai Chi done with weights - is this common practice?

It's an interesting read but I don't really understand how they get away without describing what 'standard exercise procedures' it's compared against. Perhaps this is a part of my lack of medical knowledge. Is there a standard exercise regime they currently use?
    Last edited by Ignoscant; 7/28/2013 3:59pm at .

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 4:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could not give the participants information about the possible effects, or even the why of the study. You could have another group of professionals aside from the ones conducting the study assess the results. Granted, this may result in a lack of information that is relevant to the goal of this study.

I didn't mean that making a study like this double-blind would be easy or feasible, only that I am curious about the possible outcomes due to psychological variables.

No you idiot, try again.
    You are wrong on many levels.
    Hell, the answer is in the damn paper, but you just don't know what blinding entails.
    That's only part of what you're missing.

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 4:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing Tai Chi done with weights - is this common practice?

"Resistance" is one of the three interventions tested; Tai Chi, Resistance and Stretching.

Posted On:
    7/28/2013 4:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you idiot, try again.
    You are wrong on many levels.
    Hell, the answer is in the damn paper, but you just don't know what blinding entails.
    That's only part of what you're missing.
    I guess I don't. I thought there just had to be more to it than what the paper laid out. My bad.
    Start a training log!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast