Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/07/2011 4:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hapkido background of GM Duk Gun Kwon?

Does anyone know about HapKiDo background of GM Duk Gun Kwon?
    Who is his master? How long did he study Hapkido?
    Is he true 9th Dan - Hapkido? from which Hapkido organization?
    (http://www.usntf.com/affiliatedgroups/wtha.php)

How about his Gumdo background?
    (http://www.usntf.com/affiliatedgroups/wkga.php)

Please, help!

Jose
    jefemaestro
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Grand Master Dr. Duk Gun Kwon

Certifications:

• 1997: 9th Dan Black Belt, Hapkido (Internationally Certified)
    • 1991: 9th Dan Black Belt, Taekwondo (Kukkiwon Certified)
    • 1977: Certified International Master Instructor (Kukkiwon, WTF Certified)
    • 1977: Certified International Referee (WTF Certified)
    • Graduated Young Nam University
    • Finished graduate school--Young Nam University

Source: http://www.usntf.com/about.php

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 6:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GM Duk Gun Kwon

Why do you ask? Do you have some reason to doubt his credentials?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/02/2011 10:32pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liamtkd, the man asked a question.

Either answer it, or don't post.

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 3:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Duk Gun Kwon

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Liamtkd, the man asked a question.

Either answer it, or don't post.
    That seems rather...em...abrupt. This was my first post so forgive me if I don't know all the etiquette. (Early in my martial arts career, I learned that there is a huge difference between etiquette and good manners. One black belt used to be obnoxiously rude in enforcing Korean etiquette at meals out.)

Anyway, I can't answer the question because I don't know the answer. I was curious because the question implied some doubt about the validity of GM Kwon's credentials.

I asked my question because I once attended one of his seminars, organised by one of his students, but never saw or heard anything of him since. That student has now left our organisation and gone his own way, forming his own association.
    Last edited by liamtkd; 11/03/2011 3:02am at . Reason: Typos

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 3:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't read any implied doubt in jefemaetro's question. I read a reasonable inquiry from someone trying to be an informed consumer. When you ask your friends, "Is that restaurant any good?" are you challenging the chef's credentials?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know of and have worked with GM Kwon in the past. I never worked with him concerning kumdo, but I have trained with him for TKD and HKD. His TKD credits are legit. He was Illinois State Pres. during USTU days as well as he made the running for President of USTU. He then broke away and formed the USNTF which is still going strong today. As far as his HKD is concerned, I cannot personally attest to his actual HKD credentials, what I can tell you is that, on the mat, he knows his ****. He is an old school instructor.

So why do you ask?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 9:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    I didn't read any implied doubt in jefemaetro's question. I read a reasonable inquiry from someone trying to be an informed consumer. When you ask your friends, "Is that restaurant any good?" are you challenging the chef's credentials?
    Of course asking the questions implicitly suggests some kind of doubt, especially the "Is he true 9th Dan - Hapkido?" (my emphasis). Asking that clearly implies the possibility that he might not be a "true" 9th Dan. (BTW, I am not commenting one way or the other. I know nothing about GM Kwon's pedigree.)

And if you ask "Is that restaurant any good?", you are challenging, or at least questioning, someone's credentials.
    Last edited by liamtkd; 11/03/2011 9:23am at . Reason: Afterthought

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course asking the questions implicitly suggests some kind of doubt, especially the "Is he true 9th Dan - Hapkido?" (my emphasis). Asking that clearly implies the possibility that he might not be a "true" 9th Dan.

The martial arts world is full self proclaimed masters who are not true high dans. Trying to sort out the legitimate masters from the frauds is entirely reasonable and the way jefemaestro framed his question ("Is GM Kwon qualified?" as opposed to "I suspect this GM Kwon guy is unqualified") is neutral in tone so only someone with something to hide would take umbrage at it.

(BTW, I am not commenting one way or the other. I know nothing about GM Kwon's pedigree.)

So you created an account for the sole purpose of defending the honor of a teacher you know nothing about? Here's where I imply that you're, at best, wasting our time and, at worst, being disengenuous.

And if you ask "Is that restaurant any good?", you are challenging, or at least questioning, someone's credentials.

Not credentials, necessarily. Cooking is a field that allows, even encourages, a lot of personal expression. A chef with a valid degree from the Culinary Institute of
    America could still make food that doesn't appeal to consumers due to be being too wrapped up in his/her own ego and doing things for the sake of "art" rather than taste. Conversely, a cook with no formal training could produce outstanding meals.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 10:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liamtkd View Post
    That seems rather...em...abrupt. This was my first post so forgive me if I don't know all the etiquette. (Early in my martial arts career, I learned that there is a huge difference between etiquette and good manners. One black belt used to be obnoxiously rude in enforcing Korean etiquette at meals out.)
    Welcome to Bullshido. This is the this site is.
    Quote Originally Posted by liamtkd View Post
    I asked my question because I once attended one of his seminars, organised by one of his students, but never saw or heard anything of him since. That student has now left our organisation and gone his own way, forming his own association.
    Then why wasn't your first post,

"I attended one of his seminars, but don't know much beyond that. What sort of information were you looking for?"

Posted On:
    11/04/2011 7:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido. This is the this site is.

Then why wasn't your first post,

"I attended one of his seminars, but don't know much beyond that. What sort of information were you looking for?"
    That isn't logical. If I "don't know much beyond that", why would I ask what he was looking for?

And that is not why I signed up. I was doing a search for something else and this thread came up. We had some problems with GM Kwon's student (whom I mentioned) and I was curious about his background. The decidedly non-neutral tone of jefemaestro's question "Is he true 9th Dan - Hapkido" piqued my curiosity. It's the "true" that makes it non-neutral and suggests some skepticism.. A neutral question would be to ask who or what awarded him the 9th dan, not to question whether or not it was "true".

I hope that asking questions out of curiosity is not a waste of anyone's time. Asking questions when you already know the answer is the province of lawyers.

BTW, I was not defending GM Kwon's honor. Nor was I attacking it. I only asked a question. In the Land of the Free, that is allowed.

Bottom line: the question "Is he true 9th Dan - Hapkido" has still not been answered.
    Last edited by liamtkd; 11/04/2011 7:59am at . Reason: errors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast