Page 1 of 41 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 3:42pm

Style: Mixed Traditional MAs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Counter against a flurry of punches

If someone immediately starts throwing wild hooking punches at you when a fight first starts just like starting at 28 seconds in this video:
    How do you guys defend against that in a real fight, i personally don't like what the guy does in the video which is just pull a Muhammad Ali and just cover up your face and let the guy hit whenever he can hit, because i believe that you still get hurt like that. What i like to do is bob and weave so that my head is low and his swings will go over me which you may see very common in fights and then just take him down easily while hes still trying to punch me, or if he just stops swinging at me because he can't hit my head i would just pop up and then i would unleash a flurry of punches because in my opinion the best time to go all out on your opponent is when he is tired. So tell me what you think of my strategy or tell me your own different ones if you have any. thanks!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure some of the qualified guys will chime in shortly here. Just one question though. How are you going to bob and weave when you are backed into the corner of a cage like that???

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriStriker View Post
    i personally don't like what the guy does in the video which is just pull a Muhammad Ali and just cover up your face and let the guy hit whenever he can hit, because i believe that you still get hurt like that.
    The sideline quarterbacking and description of what Muhammad Ali does makes me question your striking background.

What i like to do is bob and weave so that my head is low and his swings will go over me
    Hopefully they will. There was a number of body shots that were thrown in the video, which would have been head shots if the guy was trying to bob and weave while in a corner with punches coming to the head and body.

which you may see very common in fights and then just take him down easily while hes still trying to punch me, or if he just stops swinging at me because he can't hit my head i would just pop up and then i would unleash a flurry of punches because in my opinion the best time to go all out on your opponent is when he is tired. So tell me what you think of my strategy or tell me your own different ones if you have any. thanks!
    everyone has a strategy until they get hit. Anyway, what is your background, that you think you can easily take someone down or beat them with a flurry after you've skillfully evaded a big series of punches? Not to say you couldn't, but have you, many times?

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) I didn't say this exact scenario where you are being backed up into a cage, but it is still possible to bob and weave as it is similar to being cornered or against the ropes and still being able to bob and weave.
    2.) I don't see how saying that this guy was getting punched like Muhammad Ali would make you question my striking background
    3.) As i said i didn't mean this exact scenario as in a sport fight but just a fight where some guy is charging you and is continuing to swing at your face, and my point was that if they continued to to hit you while you were bobbing and weaving you could take them down as their hands would not be able to help stuff the take down in time as they would still be trying to punch you. You dont have to evade every single punch, you dont have to evade any of them but you just have to stop them.
    4.) I did karate for a few years, stopped doing karate. Became very open to learning all kinds of martial arts, practiced grappling with friends, sparred with friends for a while, i have been doing a lot of bag work for a while and i am now trying to simplify fighting. So I would say about 5 years of learning a lot about different traditional martial arts with a lot of different friends and instructors, im only a teen and im always learning so im not the master of everything sorry. I have never been into a fight were somone has gone crazy balls out swinging at me, as that is why i am asking people how they deal with somone going crazy balls out swinging. I didn't post this so you question me i just want to know if you think my strategy is good OR if you can give me a better one because as you can see i am inexperienced in the field of being charged by punches

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 6:14pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bobbing and weaving with kicks and knees to the head isn't the greatest of ideas. When I deal with someone going nuts, I like to keep them off me with a teep. But if they do get in and start swinging, you stay tight, keep your eyes up, and deck him with a counter right down the middle. That guy never once brought his hands back to his chin in the process of that haymaker-fest, and people frequently get so caught up in trying to throw as much as possible that they completely forget defense. One or two good cracks in the mouth will keep them from doing that.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I deal with it by training under a qualified instructor.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 6:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stay out of pocket-sized cages

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 6:58pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I defend it by doing whatever the **** I want because those guys are terrible. Most likely Clinch -> Knee face or throw.

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 7:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neo that is a good point because a straight punch is always quicker then a swing, but it could be hard to time it and if you mess up you could get koed, but sadly i dont think a push kick would work once he is in your face because you would most likely get thrown off balance if he is big enough and moving at you quick enough. As i said though it could be hard to land a straight while hes barraging you though. And if he did try to kick and knee to the head i think that would be a perfect opportunity to take him down.

Snake i was just showing an example of the type of punch flurry I was wondering how to defend, realistically i was talking about a fight with no obstacles in the way.

WhiteShark, i dont think that clinching with him will stop the punches and if you did move your hands away from defending your face to clinch with him i think he would nail you a few times

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 7:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing; JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have NO problem with the way the guy covered up to defend himself.

If someone wants to shoot their wad in the first seconds of the first round -- that's up to them.

Of course that doesn’t mean one should let one's self become a punching bag.

At some point one should either be able to counter punch, fight one's way out, or clinch.

Ali, used to lean back and "rest" on the ropes.

He called it a "rope a dope."

This is not the same thing.
Page 1 of 41 1 234511 ... LastLast