Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 1:57pm

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    Guerilla Fists,

You need to ask yourself what you really want. If you want to be able to move faster, I donít think your mass is a problem. I think you just need to relax more. From watching you at the Throwdown and on tape, you seem to be very tense when you move, especially when striking. Intensity and tension are not the same things. Do a search for relaxation threads on the site and ask your instructor for ways to work on relaxing.

Now on to losing weight.

When most people say they want to ďlose weightĒ they mean they want to look better by changing their body composition. This may or may not result in a less pounds on the scale, especially for guys like us.

One of the biggest misconceptions people have is that exercise is an effective way to lose actual weight. This is simply not true. Exercise IS effective at maintaining weight and increasing overall health, but surgery (think gastric bypass not liposuction), making long term lifestyle changes, and even crash dieting have all been proven to be more effective at shedding actual pounds.

One of the best online resources Iíve found is called www.caloriesperhour.com. This site has tons of information on how many calories different foods contain and how many calories different activities burn, including several martial arts related ones.

By playing around with the calculators on the site it becomes obvious that exercise is an inefficient weigh loss method. For someone my sex, age, height, and lifting weights vigorously for an hour burns less than 500 calories. Thatís basically one Quarter Pounder with cheese. If I have a Double Quarter Pounder Value Meal, with medium fries and Coke, Iím up to around 1500 calories. In order to burn that off I have to go out and run for an hour at the pace of a 5.5 minute mile. It is much easier to not eat those calories in the first place.

You canít stop eating altogether, but I have found it pretty easy to make some major daily calorie reductions by making smart choices. I can eat at most fast food places and still keep my calories under 500 per meal. Eating at home is a little trickier, because often times there are no set portions or nutritional value. Websites like caloriesperhour.com have been invaluable to me estimating the calorie content of stuff my girlfriend and I make at home. IMO, the worst place to go when trying to lose weight is a sit down restaurant. Large portions and limited nutritional info make those places very scary.

Another thing to say away from is alcohol. Alcohol contains more calories per gram (6) than protein or carbs (4). Only fat (9) has more.

If you starting cutting calories without exercising youíll typically lose weight faster, but up to 50% of it can be muscle mass, and as others have said thatís usually not a good idea.
    That was probably the most I've learned in one thread on any forum. You could potentially be talking out of your ass, but it sure as hell makes sense to me! I've been in an incessant battle of the bulge for my whole life and it sure seems that in my 30's, no matter how much more I put into exercising, I haven't lost squat. Since I exercise regularly, I'll start focusing more on what I stuff into my mouth. Thanks bro!

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Meth
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 2:17pm

Style: Suave

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Punisher,

That's funny you mention the throwdown. I thought my striking felt a little forced that day.

Now this brings up my next question. How do I relax more?

I still think if I was lighter I would be a little less cumbersome.

Guerilla Fists

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5'10" 185 lbs is not that big.

Telling someone exactly how to relax is on par with telling someone exactly how to meditate.

It can't be done, at least not in the literal sense, you have to experience certain things for yourself.

I'd experiement with variations on two themes.

First, moving faster. Try to practice moving as fast as you can with no emphasis on power at all. Just speed speed speed, till you are almost at failure.

Second, moving reallly really slow, go through the motions of your particular striking style while being as conscious of the different tensions required to make the movement as you can. Consciously reduce any tension that is not necessary.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Marasmos

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5'10 and 185 is not so huge that it should be slowing you down.I would suggest not worrying about losing muscle mass, and instead concentrating on not tensing up when you strike (bagwork is great for that) and doing explosive training. Ronin69 is probably the person to ask about this.
    You say what about my rice?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may sound cliche, I've found the key to relaxtion is to stop "trying". Stop thinking, stop trying, just go out there and flow, either on a bag or with a partner.

You have the ability to move relaxed. You did it when you picked me up slammed me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 6:14pm

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your far from too heavy GF, and your not near 8% bf either.. your a bit lower than the average male so your probably about 15% give or take... 8% means your ripped.. anything less than that can only be held for so long unless you have supplements to hold you over.. this is more for a bodybuilder...
    I'm about 20Lb's overweight, I weigh 255Lbs and that 20Lbs i'm holding is fatt... I gained it in the last 3yrs when I took up some other things in my life other than weight lifting and watching everything I ate.. at 220Lbs I was 8% bf and was ripped.. but I was slow as an ox.. since i've learned to relax (need more work but am learning) I'm sooo much faster than ever in my life.. it takes time, patience and most importantly practice... slow is another key element.. relax your movements and do them slow...

Quite of few listers hit it on the knob... relaxing takes practice.. your breathing plays a strong part of it... getting smaller will not make you faster.. it will make you smaller and nothing else..
    becoming relaxed will make you faster, then add the mass you already have and you have a terrible bone crushing punch...

if you want to drop bf... do all our techniques from white belt up, that should be over 35 techniques for your rank... do them all as a kata and do the kata 3-5x a day... Maverick is a pro and putting that together.. i'm surprised he didn't turn you onto it..
    or do your kata about 5x a day slow and relaxed.. Breathing is the key....

Hello everyone, GF exposed me to your sight and spoke highly about alot of you...
    I look forward to conversing with all of you when time permits.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12