Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 11:15am

Style: Suave

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Losing Weight, Maintaining Muscle

I'm not a big guy. But currently I am 185 with a broad built and a good amount of mass on my body.

I want to know if anyone knows how to reduce body weight and decrease the size of their muscles. This may sound wierd but I feel that I'm slower because of some of the muscle in my arms and chest and am looking to shrink them, maybe tone is the right word. But I don't want to make them just harder, I want to lose some of the mass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eat less

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 11:30am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat less indeed. Overtrain.....many many reps and sets.

Now that we've answered your question....

How tall are you?
    Do you understand the weak crappy feeling you'll get from doing that probably isn't worth it?
    What's your BF percentage?
    Amputation is the only real option.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 11:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You WANT to LOSE muscle mass??
    Well first thing is seek councelling for yor drug problem.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    keep that muscle dude just burn the fat. Do HIIT and eat right and the fat will melt off. Keep a food diary so you can actually see all of the **** you eat.

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 11:58am

Style: Beverly Hills Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's HIIT?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High Intensity Interval Training. http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 12:22pm

Style: Suave

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by PizDoff
    Eat less indeed. Overtrain.....many many reps and sets.

Now that we've answered your question....

How tall are you?
    Do you understand the weak crappy feeling you'll get from doing that probably isn't worth it?
    What's your BF percentage?
    Amputation is the only real option.
    5'10''
    During wrestling I found that when I performed at lower weights I still had energy and did exceptionally well. Back then I was between 3 to 5 BF percentage. Now it's probably 7 to 10 because I've let myself go a bit.
    I want to lose muscle mass because I want to be faster and lighter. I want more of a whip to my strikes. Right now they are too "pushy".
    I'm a striker in a grappler's body. My goal is to get to 170. I know I can do it because out of highschool I was 160, in two years I lifted heavy and ballooned up to 185. No I want to get back to my old physique, but of course I compensate about 10 pounds for the growth I've gone through.

On another note,
    What does wanting less muscle mass have to do with fascilitating a drug problem? I don't have a problem with drugs...we get along real well. My life had soo many issues before I started doing drugs, now I just have one issue- drugs. Kidding of course.

Thanks for the help. That HIIT sounds a lot like the circuit training I used to do during my grappling years.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guerilla Fists,

You need to ask yourself what you really want. If you want to be able to move faster, I donít think your mass is a problem. I think you just need to relax more. From watching you at the Throwdown and on tape, you seem to be very tense when you move, especially when striking. Intensity and tension are not the same things. Do a search for relaxation threads on the site and ask your instructor for ways to work on relaxing.

Now on to losing weight.

When most people say they want to ďlose weightĒ they mean they want to look better by changing their body composition. This may or may not result in a less pounds on the scale, especially for guys like us.

One of the biggest misconceptions people have is that exercise is an effective way to lose actual weight. This is simply not true. Exercise IS effective at maintaining weight and increasing overall health, but surgery (think gastric bypass not liposuction), making long term lifestyle changes, and even crash dieting have all been proven to be more effective at shedding actual pounds.

One of the best online resources Iíve found is called www.caloriesperhour.com. This site has tons of information on how many calories different foods contain and how many calories different activities burn, including several martial arts related ones.

By playing around with the calculators on the site it becomes obvious that exercise is an inefficient weigh loss method. For someone my sex, age, height, and lifting weights vigorously for an hour burns less than 500 calories. Thatís basically one Quarter Pounder with cheese. If I have a Double Quarter Pounder Value Meal, with medium fries and Coke, Iím up to around 1500 calories. In order to burn that off I have to go out and run for an hour at the pace of a 5.5 minute mile. It is much easier to not eat those calories in the first place.

You canít stop eating altogether, but I have found it pretty easy to make some major daily calorie reductions by making smart choices. I can eat at most fast food places and still keep my calories under 500 per meal. Eating at home is a little trickier, because often times there are no set portions or nutritional value. Websites like caloriesperhour.com have been invaluable to me estimating the calorie content of stuff my girlfriend and I make at home. IMO, the worst place to go when trying to lose weight is a sit down restaurant. Large portions and limited nutritional info make those places very scary.

Another thing to say away from is alcohol. Alcohol contains more calories per gram (6) than protein or carbs (4). Only fat (9) has more.

If you starting cutting calories without exercising youíll typically lose weight faster, but up to 50% of it can be muscle mass, and as others have said thatís usually not a good idea.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2004 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By playing around with the calculators on the site it becomes obvious that exercise is an inefficient weigh loss method.
    Can I get a hell-yeah?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast