Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not impressed with the method by which they presented their product.

    The shooter wasn't wearing any form of body armour, kevlar head protection or eye-wear. The eejit behind the glass likewise no body armour.

    I understand the purpose behind the presentation of the product but I still think it was a fucking stupid demonstration. There were so many things which could have happened besides someone being shot - most likely fatally.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  2. #12
    Gezere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    I'm not impressed with the method by which they presented their product.

    The shooter wasn't wearing any form of body armour, kevlar head protection or eye-wear. The eejit behind the glass likewise no body armour.

    I understand the purpose behind the presentation of the product but I still think it was a fucking stupid demonstration. There were so many things which could have happened besides someone being shot - most likely fatally.
    The shooter not wearing armor, Kevlar, etc doesn't mean a thing that has nothing to do with the demo. The neither does the boss. When I was in Kabul we drove around in armored SUVs while wearing only ACUs. These were mainly for VIPs.

    Again the basic premise of the video is that the boss is willing to stake his life on his product because others will be doing it.

    As far as something else going wrong. We have no idea how the rest of the area is set up we are only seeing a small part so anything is is just pure speculation. Since it seems nothing went wrong I think that is a huge plus for them.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

  3. #13
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand your point mate and it's very valid, it doesn't however change my opinion on how the presentation was delivered.

    I do agree that his willingness to stake his life on his product does bode enormously on its quality. Fair play to him.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  4. #14
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wondered after watching that if there was any 'standard competency' for this kind of product as three single shots from the AK seemed quite low to me,

    Given than most of the combat footage I've seen has had the insurgent/ terrorist combatants firing on semi/ full auto and discharging a lot of rounds, very quickly.

    I would imagine your widow proofing would need to effective up to 10 round impacts, rather than just 3.

  5. #15
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a video I have of a small arms contact in Iraq about 4-5 years ago, the patrol (in vehicles) came under a 35 second sustained ambush. 35 seconds doesn't sound particularly long but the fuckers managed to disable at least two vehicles killing one of the drivers. His door and window had in excess of 15 hits.

    Given that most modern assault weapons carry magazines of 30 rounds, you do the math.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  6. #16
    Gezere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I wondered after watching that if there was any 'standard competency' for this kind of product as three single shots from the AK seemed quite low to me,

    Given than most of the combat footage I've seen has had the insurgent/ terrorist combatants firing on semi/ full auto and discharging a lot of rounds, very quickly.

    I would imagine your widow proofing would need to effective up to 10 round impacts, rather than just 3.
    They insurgents in general can't shoot for ****. They are spray and prayers they may hit 3~5 out of 30 rounds. However you have to multiply that but what ever number they have.

    With that being said these things are bullet resistant not bullet proof. Armored SUVs are meant to give protection enough to get out of the area and/or counter attack they are not designed to sit there and be peppered with rounds.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

  7. #17
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    [real life experience]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    [real life experience]
    Ya, sure. I was wondering if to advertise/ certify your product as 'bullet resistant/proof' that was understood to represent a set number of rounds it could withstand before failure? Or is it not regulated in that kind of way.

    And yeh, if you're in a civilian vehicle (even if armoured) fucking off sharpish rather sitting around while a bunch of ragheads use you for target, is probably the way to go.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    858
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Ya, sure. I was wondering if to advertise/ certify your product as 'bullet resistant/proof' that was understood to represent a set number of rounds it could withstand before failure? Or is it not regulated in that kind of way.

    And yeh, if you're in a civilian vehicle (even if armoured) fucking off sharpish rather sitting around while a bunch of ragheads use you for target, is probably the way to go.
    I did some looking around on their website.
    They offer different leves of protection based but they don't expound at all upon what the failure point would be for any of those levels.

    IE, we can give your car level 1 protection against small arms (handug/shotgun calibers) fire. But they don't say how many hits you can take to a single are before your protection is comprimised.

    I did find a video where they showed one of their windshields with 100 hits on it and no pentration through but I suspect that they were demo'ing the thickest one they had.

  9. #19
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    1,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    I did some looking around on their website.
    They offer different leves of protection based but they don't expound at all upon what the failure point would be for any of those levels.
    They probably correspond to these: http://www.justnet.org/Lists/JUSTNET...81/0108.01.pdf

    The glass in this video would be Level III or better.

  10. #20
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,202
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will the level three stop the AP ammo out of an AK?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO