--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

certified personal trainers?

Any certified personal trainers out there? If so, what certification do you have? and why did you pick that one? Was it a train from home course and then a test at a testing center? Give me the run down on your experience.

Why do I want to be a certified personal trainer? A few reasons.
    First: I've always been interested in fitness and I'm always trying to improve my own workouts.
    Second: I always need a goal and a certification seems like a good goal.
    Third: You never know, I could end up helping some people get more fit.

so there's my reasons, any input is appreciated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am. YMCA of the USA cert. It was a 20 hour class I physically attended.

You will NOT improve your own workouts, unless you're currently a flaming dolt. You might as well read Shape and Reader's Digest. Seriously...it's just as useless, but it's a lot cheaper. Don't do it for that reason.

It's really not much of a goal either.

For actual learning, take physics, biology and anatomy and/or physiology at a JC. Or just pick up texts at the library and study yourself. You'll see how far off base so many "fitness people" are regarding the simplest ****...especially with reconciling physics and biology.

However, the cert is the neccesary step you have to take to help people out, and be official. And THAT is a great goal.

Here's a testimonial someone just recently wrote me. It really made my day (funny he mentioned bruce lee...he has nothing to do with MA).

In October of '03 I had reached 176 lbs. I'm 5'7", and most of my life had been considered "skinny." At 176 lbs. I I was still pretty skinny in the arms and legs, but I had a giant stomach and man-boobs, and my face had filled out quite a bit. I knew that the tanker was growing down there, but I wasn't motivated to do anything about it. I've also pretty much grown up at McDonalds.

Well, one day I was walking through a parking lot and I got to one of those little divider walls by the edge of the lot, you know the kind that looks like come railroad ties stack on top of each other. I hopped off the little wall and the front of my shins said,

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING UP THERE?!?"

Now this was a two foot tall divider. Two feet. A two foot drop and I was damn near falling over from the impact of my feet on the ground. I considered this my bottom. I joined Weight Watchers with my wife and began to lose weight. The only problem was, the points weren't filling me up. I had to exercise and earn more points each day to be satisfied. At first I did a lot of walking, but eventually I followed my wife's suggestion and I went to the Y and learned how to "work-out." Steve taught me about High-Intensity Training and how to use the machines. That was in October.

Steve was a little off on my current weight. I am now 152. But at this weight I'm doing:

Calf Extension: 8 reps @ 230
    Seated Leg Press: 10 reps @ 320 (just moved up to 330 Steve!)
    Chest Press: still 8 reps @ 100
    Seated row: 11 reps @120

4 months ago, it was:
    Seated Leg press: 9 reps @150
    Cybex Chest press: 9 reps at 37.5
    Seated row: 13 reps@60

*The only thing I haven't mentioned here is that I have taken several weeks off of working out at all to take care of some problems. But could you imagine where I would be now if I hadn't taken all that time off?

All I can say is that this stuff works, man. I have gained SO MUCH strenth in 4 months that I have surpassed MANY of the guys I see at the Y almost every time I am there. And the funny part is (girls, are you listening?), I still look like a pretty thin guy! I'm not huge or bulky; I don't think I ever will be. I don't have the genetics for it, and that's cool. Bruce Lee never weighed more than 165 lbs, but he could punch a guy from one inch away and send him reeling; THAT's strenth!
    Last edited by Nid; 3/24/2004 11:25am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks keinhaar, very cool, you changed that dudes life. good job! Anyone else?