Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2011 9:23pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 6'1 200lbs. I have a size 6 from Century and it's a little too big. I also have a Mizuno Shiai that's a size 5 and it fits perfectly.

Single weave is just lighter and thinner. Double weave is thicker and heavier.

I forgot to mention. When you buy a Judogi you get what you pay for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 11:02am

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weave typically refers to the weight or thickness of the cloth.

A single weave tends to be 350-500gg this basicaly means that the cloth weighs about 2350-500 grams per sq meter of cloth. Singles being light tend to be more popular in hot climates and dry faster.

Double weaves tend to be around 600-750gg so about twice as heavy and thick. The tend to take longer to dry. And absorb a ton of sweat.

You can also find what some companies call platnium weave, gold weave, pearl weave ect ect. These typically try to find the middle ground and come in at 500-550gg.

Single weaves tend to not be a durable as double weaves and depending on how much you wear them and train you can expect a good 1-2 years of life out of the GI. (Obviously this is case dependant but 1-2 is a good rule of thumb)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2011 4:08pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've heard that the adidas gi's tear relatively easily. then again there are different models *shrug*

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 9:17pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard that Atama makes some good stuff, but they're kind of on the pricey side. As to what color, it depends on your school and you. Most people I know have white or blue gis. I ended up getting a black gi recently because I tend to gash my hands open frequently and I didn't want blood stains all over the place.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 10:50am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ben, I bought a single weave Century two years ago and the collar has become very frayed. I just purchased a double weave Dan Rho. It's a lot heavier and stiff, but I love it.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 8:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thp View Post
    Ben, I bought a single weave Century two years ago and the collar has become very frayed. I just purchased a double weave Dan Rho. It's a lot heavier and stiff, but I love it.
    I ended up with a white double weave kd elite that's pretty good and thick (it was on sale and had good reviews so I gave it a try); and a white adidas single weave from kodakangear. The adidas is much lighter. I like the feel of both so we'll just see how the wear and tear goes.

I've been washing a lot of whites lately though lol. If I get another gi at some point it'll probably be blue just so my dark clothes can get some love.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 9:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BearHammer View Post
    I ended up with a white double weave kd elite that's pretty good and thick (it was on sale and had good reviews so I gave it a try); and a white adidas single weave from kodakangear. The adidas is much lighter. I like the feel of both so we'll just see how the wear and tear goes.

I've been washing a lot of whites lately though lol. If I get another gi at some point it'll probably be blue just so my dark clothes can get some love.
    It is generally a good idea to wash you gi separately from the rest of your clothes,especially as the gi gets older. I personally do not want the mat funk anywhere near the rest of my clothes.

I remember one guy who rarely washed his gi. His gi smelled so bad, it affected my other clothes when I washed my gi with them. I had to bleach the crap out of everything that was in that wash to get rid of the stink.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree with jnp. i wash my gi (along with my wrestling kneepads, ankle support, etc.) right after every class, and separately from any other laundry. it makes for a lot of loads of laundry, but it's worth it.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 10:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    It is generally a good idea to wash you gi separately from the rest of your clothes,especially as the gi gets older. I personally do not want the mat funk anywhere near the rest of my clothes.

I remember one guy who rarely washed his gi. His gi smelled so bad, it affected my other clothes when I washed my gi with them. I had to bleach the crap out of everything that was in that wash to get rid of the stink.
    hmm yeah I encountered a guy with a really mildewy smellin gi last week. Thanks for the insight. I noticed in another thread that air drying the gi is common. Is there any reason not to use a dryer besides standard shrinkage?
    Last edited by BearHammer; 9/15/2011 10:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 10:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a good decision. You'll be glad you have the double weave for tournaments.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast