--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registration fee for an MMA school normal?

I was checking out this MMA school http://www.alderwoodmixedmartialarts.com/MMA.html and I had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand they had all the stuff you'd want, bags, a ring, a weight set, and even a shower. The class size was pretty small, and the instructor I thought did a great job of teaching. Not just showing a technique, but explaining what the purpose of the technique was and when and why you'd use it.

However, I was concerned about a few things as well. First the instructor seemed to be selling me pretty hard on joining (I've worked sales jobs before, and I know when I'm being sold), the other students were seemed friendly, but also kind of the stereotype "TapouT warrior bro" (I'm pretty awkward and awful socially though, so that could just be me) Finally the biggest concern was a registration fee of 150 dollars. The other MMA place I tried had no such fee, and 150 dollars seems like a lot. Furthermore they seemed vague about their pricing, the other place had all their pricing info on their website, while this place when asked would be rather unclear (obviously they don't want to talk price until someone is ready to sign up, but I'm not sure I like that)

I'd appreciate any insight offered to me. Are registration fees typical or is that a red flag? Perhaps someone knows about this school, and its people?

Style
    Boxing and No Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion, registration fees are an incentive to stay longer. Say, if you did paid $150 for registration and another $120 (that seems like the average) on top of that for unlimited training...would you be really willing to leave after a week of classes? In contrast, if you only had paid $10 for one casual visit and you didn't like it...see what I am talking about? Thats kind of the point for contracts as well- to encourage committment and provide a safety net for the instructors as well as profit.

I paid a registration fee of $10 and I know some MMA gyms don't charge anything at all- or give you some beginners equipment 'in exchange' for the fees. However, I also know some pretty legit ones that charge with no tangible exchange for the reasons above.

If I were you, I would go to a trial lesson with the other gym and compare and contrast the quality. Also, attend a few more free lessons at your current gym and sooner or later the coach(es) will tell you their payment schemes :P

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorfightbear View Post
    I was checking out this MMA school http://www.alderwoodmixedmartialarts.com/MMA.html and I had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand they had all the stuff you'd want, bags, a ring, a weight set, and even a shower. The class size was pretty small, and the instructor I thought did a great job of teaching. Not just showing a technique, but explaining what the purpose of the technique was and when and why you'd use it.

However, I was concerned about a few things as well. First the instructor seemed to be selling me pretty hard on joining (I've worked sales jobs before, and I know when I'm being sold), the other students were seemed friendly, but also kind of the stereotype "TapouT warrior bro" (I'm pretty awkward and awful socially though, so that could just be me) Finally the biggest concern was a registration fee of 150 dollars. The other MMA place I tried had no such fee, and 150 dollars seems like a lot. Furthermore they seemed vague about their pricing, the other place had all their pricing info on their website, while this place when asked would be rather unclear (obviously they don't want to talk price until someone is ready to sign up, but I'm not sure I like that)

I'd appreciate any insight offered to me. Are registration fees typical or is that a red flag? Perhaps someone knows about this school, and its people?
    I charge $99.