Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2011 11:04am

Style: BJJ & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My story of success: BJJ vs mean dog

Yesterday I successfully defended my dog from another dog that was trying very hard to bite her. I think my BJJ training gave me the confidence to stay calm and use an appropriate amount of force. I think I also drew inspiration from The Mighty McClaw's knife defense story.

We were on a walk around the neighborhood and I stopped to tie my shoe. We were on the sidewalk almost directly in line with the neighbor's front door, separated from said door by a concrete path about 12 ft (4 meters) long.

As soon as I had bent down to tie my shoe I had this thought like "man it sure would suck if his dog got out right now". Sure enough, I was tying my shoe, I heard someone starting to open the door, and I knew he had at least one dog, and I also heard the dog's collar/leash/whatever making noise.

Anyways one of his dogs made a b-line for my Chocolate Lab and tried to bite her hind quarters on her right side. As soon as it came out my plan was to grab the dog on it's back directly behind the shoulder blades. I was holding my dog by her leash with my left hand and my body was between the two of them. I was attempting the interception with my right. The owner was calling after his dog and coming out after it, presumably after also making sure that his other dog did not get out also. Of course I was also loudly shouting "no!" at the other dog. Anyways I didn't achieve the grip but I made contact long enough and forcefully enough to slightly redirect the dog to the right and it was literally just enough for the attack to miss and leave both of them unharmed before the owner regained control of his dog. What I mean by just enough is this: the spot on my dog where the perpetrator had targeted had it's fur disturbed from the other dog making contact, like if I had brushed the hair the wrong way.

Some additional background info follows. My dog is a 65 lb female Chocolate Lab. She tends to be aggressive toward other dogs, but has been getting better. In this instance, she stayed perfectly still and as far as I could tell, did nothing aggressive at all. Also, many years ago in both of our previous generations of dogs, our female Akita had bitten this guy's elderly dog and we had to pay medical bills. I think he was a Golden retriever.

I'm dealing with some serious sleep deprivation so sorry if this isn't well written. It wouldn't surprise me at this point if whole words are missing.
    :Milk:
    Last edited by No.1_Son; 9/01/2011 11:06am at . Reason: I kant speel gud.

Posted On:
    9/01/2011 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was doing some electrical work at a place that bred, trained, and sold rotts and akitas. Two of his rotts decided to kill each other once, and the owner was trying to seperate them. A bystander decided to help and pulled on the big male's kneck. The dog bit his hand, leaving four puncture marks clear through the hand. plus it broke a bunch of the bones. It let go after a few moments and then obeyed a lay down command. The owner lost his insurance and now posts signs that say 'These dogs are trained to bite, they will bite, come in if you want to be bitten". People stay out of his pens now unless invited. I think reading lessons would help more than martial arts in that situation .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2011 3:59pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard that trying to break up a dogfight is very dangerous, but good on you for protecting your girl! I'm glad she was safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2011 4:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought for your Kyok blackbelt you had to raise a pit bull from a puppy then kill it for the BB test.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2011 11:17pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naw, we stopped doing that in 1964.

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 8:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    I thought for your Kyok blackbelt you had to raise a pit bull from a puppy then kill it for the BB test.
    now they just pick out the puppy on the day of the test

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 8:32am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your Bjj only helped you because the other dog was not loose, otherwise he would have stomped your head in.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grappled an angry dog that didn't like that I was skateboarding by the beach. I sprawled my legs back while pushing its head into the ground and ended up holding it in a corner between two fences when a bike ran over my leg. All the while my headphones were on, and they wouldn't stop playing ska, making it a very surreal fight.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!