Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 2:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting to this topic late 'cause I just joined...
    I had done 7 years of sport epee and then simply lived off of it for my next 10 years in the SCA/Ren scene with only an occasional lesson from some of M. Crown's students. Once I got bored with being the top SCA teacher in my area, I started classical/historical with M. Martinez. I've learned a hell of a lot there, but my old sport epee skills still translate. They certainly translate back through small sword as well. Rapier is a slightly different beast, but it's more of a matter of doing less. An epee can do everything a rapier can, but not the reverse.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 2:19pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Umb View Post
    I've learned a hell of a lot there, but my old sport epee skills still translate. They certainly translate back through small sword as well. Rapier is a slightly different beast, but it's more of a matter of doing less. An epee can do everything a rapier can, but not the reverse.
    I’ve never done sport fencing, but I notice that when sport fencers start to pick up the rapier, they do a lot of things right but tend to make all the motions much too large, disengages in particular: The rapier’s a much heavier weapon and motions need to be as small as possible in order to be fast enough. So do less, and when doing the same things, minimise the motions.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 2:22pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Umb View Post
    An epee can do everything a rapier can, but not the reverse.
    Forgive my ignorance, but I thought a epee couldn't cut as a rapier did? Or am I mistaking rapier for a sabre?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 2:25pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky279 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but I thought a epee couldn't cut as a rapier did? Or am I mistaking rapier for a sabre?
    Rapiers can definitely cut, although they’re not great at it. Cut a chunk of meat with a rapier and a percussive cut will pretty much bounce off (though I imagine it would leave one hell of a bruise on a person); a draw cut will slice.

Lots of the old rapier manuscripts include a great deal of cutting. It’s de-emphasised, though, because cutting motions tend to be slower and wider and because the strength of the rapier is in thrusting. It’s basically one long point, after all.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 2:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    So do less, and when doing the same things, minimise the motions.
    Exactly - anything you can do, I can do less of.

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for cutting, I agree with Petter. You can even stop a cut by thrusting against it. If you study saber, you'll find it's far faster and rapier cuts will seem slow to your perception.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one thing to remember about fencing for exercise: it will not develop muscles evenly.

one big thigh, one big calf, one big forearm.

that is all.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 3:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    one thing to remember about fencing for exercise: it will not develop muscles evenly.

one big thigh, one big calf, one big forearm.

that is all.
    So very very true and I started off with scoliosis even before I started fencing. You have to pair it with some full body workout

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 5:20pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a ranked sabre fencer in Canada for a while in the 90's. Mostly due to the dearth of women in the category.

I found it fucked up and is still fucking up my Kali footwork
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    10/28/2011 5:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see how that would happen. Sport sabre had gotten fairly crappy by he 90's. Had the fleche been ruled out by then and replaced with the flunge? Back when Bakbakan was still in NJ I was able to win in dagger and espada y daga, but I'd worked with M. Martinez and M. Loriega by then.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast