Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 4:51pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sumo for a Doorman

I've recently started up Judo and Muay Thai, after a long time off of any training, save the odd spar with the old gym rats. My Judo sensei, down at Ronin Dojo, fought sumo in Japan (dunno which division), and runs a sumo class twice a week.

Being a bouncer, naturally, I'm very interested in how to remove people without hurting them or having to drag 'em out after a takedown. I've attended a class, and it was very interesting. Spent an hour focusing on one thing - Both people pushing on the chest, you take a step back, swim for the underhook, and toss him over your hip.

It seems all good, but I've run in to a problem. I can't find ANY theory on Sumo, whether it be internet or books. Can't find a curriculum, can't judge the quality of my instruction by any standard, can't find a damn thing. Everything I find written about the sport is cultural.

So, in my quest for knowledge, I come here, to ask the Bullies in their infinite wisdom,

WTF you know about Sumo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 5:00pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    I've recently started up Judo and Muay Thai, after a long time off of any training, save the odd spar with the old gym rats. My Judo sensei, down at Ronin Dojo, fought sumo in Japan (dunno which division), and runs a sumo class twice a week.

Being a bouncer, naturally, I'm very interested in how to remove people without hurting them or having to drag 'em out after a takedown. I've attended a class, and it was very interesting. Spent an hour focusing on one thing - Both people pushing on the chest, you take a step back, swim for the underhook, and toss him over your hip.

It seems all good, but I've run in to a problem. I can't find ANY theory on Sumo, whether it be internet or books. Can't find a curriculum, can't judge the quality of my instruction by any standard, can't find a damn thing. Everything I find written about the sport is cultural.

So, in my quest for knowledge, I come here, to ask the Bullies in their infinite wisdom,

WTF you know about Sumo?
    **** all but I'm reasonably interested in it. Have you got a link for your school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 5:22pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF you know about Sumo?
    Only that its awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 5:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've beens idly toying with the idea of training for a sumo comp next summer. Here's what I found online... I knows it's not much.

http://ifaq.wap.org/sumo/sumotech.html

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/sumo_techniques.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/SumoParis

The second link is the best imo.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 1:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would very much like to learn more about this. Sumo is awesome (besides the uniform- if u can call it that).

Pretty sure I remember hearing that sumo learn to draw their nuts up into their body or some such ting. Retracting them behind the pelvic bone (shivers) Any validity to this?

Also, I'm pretty sure I have the diet down pat.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might get a better sense for what they do by watching some sumo training vids (as always, watching videos =/= training)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 5:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone here have a background in Sumo, or know some of the principles or theory associated with the sport?

Posted On:
    9/06/2011 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone here have a background in Sumo, or know some of the principles or theory associated with the sport?
    The Judo place where I trained in Japan also had a Dohyo nearby, where Sumo was trained at the college-ammy level (no nearby Beya, unfortunately).

After thirty-odd misspent weekends and half-weeks working club security, I'd suggest you'll only need to bulk up, get a Teppo pole for hand conditioning, some noncompliant partners, and work the most useful Sumo waza for bouncers: oshidashi and kotenage. There are others which can be useful, but master those two after bulking up, and you'll be fine in a club/bar context.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 11:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would that be throws and the overhook-drag?

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    9/15/2011 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate vs. Teeth.

I mean...Savate vs. Sumo:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast