Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 6:20pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Sparring happens once every three months? That must be an amusing display of sparring.

@Rzero: Not every art can be as safe and un-disgusting as the Krav :Hehehe:
    All wounds have to be covered before training. Any wounds received during training get treated with spray-on bandage. We take that **** serious. As should any other style/dojo/school that is concerned with the health of its students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 6:48pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzero View Post
    All wounds have to be covered before training. Any wounds received during training get treated with spray-on bandage. We take that **** serious. As should any other style/dojo/school that is concerned with the health of its students.
    Yes, obviously. I was just having a bit of fun.

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They also share ancient, soiled, jock straps.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 7:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now we don't have to worry about disease as most of the students are Mormons, and virgins, too!

The sparring every three months is odd, but their bbs can fight well. I've fought 'em and some have won local tournies and at least one bb cage fought (about 5 seconds into the first round he exploded in with driving strikes and KO'd opponent). Perhaps the intensity level pays off somehow. Sparring is a bid deal and intense. The n00bs are expected to get blown away and expected to follow the successes of the more advanced students as the years go by. It may not be the most effective fighting standup dojo, but like many here know, my kid got her bb there and as a teen fought off an asshole attacker, so it works OK. Hard sparring drills are important and a good teaching tool. I know a lot of people think one step and point sucks totally, but I have trained in instructor's class with a dozen bbs, half of whom could wipe me out, and their one steps were sometimes unstoppable. As John Irving, noted author and wrestler (and author of the best ma book, The Imaginary Girlfriend) put it, I wouldn't dream of trying a new move in a match until I'd practiced it a thousand times.

They don't take it too easy on n00bs and more advanced colored belts, while not creamed, are not coddled. And perhaps it's also the kind of students attracted. It's part of Utah State U and tough ex-high school jocks and such, as college students join. His students included the football star, a reciever who became a vice squad cop in SLC, some rugby guys and such. Some who attend BJJ seminars and sometimes come downtown to spar at the Kaju/ke?po or sport karate clubs, etc. Also he's married to the best woman karateka around and she tends to attract a solid group of young women.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 7:54pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Now we don't have to worry about disease as most of the students are Mormons, and virgins, too!

The sparring every three months is odd, but their bbs can fight well. I've fought 'em and some have won local tournies and at least one bb cage fought (about 5 seconds into the first round he exploded in with driving strikes and KO'd opponent). Perhaps the intensity level pays off somehow. Sparring is a bid deal and intense. The n00bs are expected to get blown away and expected to follow the successes of the more advanced students as the years go by. It may not be the most effective fighting standup dojo, but like many here know, my kid got her bb there and as a teen fought off an asshole attacker, so it works OK. Hard sparring drills are important and a good teaching tool. I know a lot of people think one step and point sucks totally, but I have trained in instructor's class with a dozen bbs, half of whom could wipe me out, and their one steps were sometimes unstoppable. As John Irving, noted author and wrestler (and author of the best ma book, The Imaginary Girlfriend) put it, I wouldn't dream of trying a new move in a match until I'd practiced it a thousand times.

They don't take it too easy on n00bs and more advanced colored belts, while not creamed, are not coddled. And perhaps it's also the kind of students attracted. It's part of Utah State U and tough ex-high school jocks and such, as college students join. His students included the football star, a reciever who became a vice squad cop in SLC, some rugby guys and such. Some who attend BJJ seminars and sometimes come downtown to spar at the Kaju/ke?po or sport karate clubs, etc. Also he's married to the best woman karateka around and she tends to attract a solid group of young women.
    To this entire post all I can muster is, WTF? I've read it, and now I can't unread it. Maybe I should go put on those old maxi pads they use for gloves and have sensei mormon jock stud thump me in the head a couple times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 8:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    They also share ancient, soiled, jock straps.

Dipped in tree sap and rolled in broken glass as well ?

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
    Dipped in tree sap and rolled in broken glass as well ?
    I see we shop at the same store.

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 11:57pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At our gym, they extract the resins from poison sumac, primarily urushiol, and paint the gloves with it. That way you know when you get tagged and so does everyone else.

Its interesting that the western name derives from the Japanese word 'urushi' describing this very custom.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 12:35am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    If fecal matter is a synonym for ****, then I must wonder what you do with your sink.
    You'd be more impressed what I do with my toilet

:)

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    You'd be more impressed what I do with my toilet
    Don't you live in it? Damned economy.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast