228044 Bullies, 4449 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another big factor when considering heat during exercise is asthma.

I have asthma (exercise-induced, to be specific)...as do about 8% of all Americans, 9% of American children, and 300 million people worldwide.

Exercising in the heat without emergency medicine available can be pretty dangerous for me, although I haven't had a real attack in years (been close) theoretically rolling around, sparring, or even doing forms in hot weather or a heated room could bring on an asthmatic episode leading to cardiac arrest.

This is why arts that encourage proper, efficient breathing help me out significantly..this is part of why I study kung fu.

So, it's not about being a "Tough Guy" and sweating it out in the heat. You need to be smart, it's ok to ask for water, take a break, stand by the fan, active cool, whatever you need to do.

Dying or getting brain damage for a few extra daily calories burned is not worth it.

http://www.qualityhealth.com/asthma-...induced-asthma
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/02/2011 2:03am at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 10:20am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree. You have to be a little bit smart, but everything else is about mentality. A lot of it IS about being a "tough guy," you just can't be stupid about it.

Training in the heat: Just make sure you have salt and water nearby, whether its gatorade or whatever. You'll be fine, especially with a coach around. ESPECIALLY if we're talking about training in a crowded gym with no AC. Its not like we're in the blistering sun. STop being a *****!!

Asthma: You can do a lot to combat excercise induced asthma. I myself have it. It mostly went away. I havent had an attack even in a kickboxing match and pankration tournaments. I second that you should carry your inhaler everywhere but don't let it limit you. The only time I've had an onset of an attack was at a beginner's judo tourney, many years ago. I didn't need the inhaler, though I think I was close to needing it. The way to make it go away is to train more. Keep pushing your cardio. Swim a lot. Run every day.

Anyways, my point is, don't use this crap as excuses not to push yourself. Don't be stupid but you DO want to toughen up your mind. Fighting in the heat. Fighting in general. Endurance training. All of this is driven by your mentality, which needs to be tough. Being a tough guy basically the essense of these things. Just don't be a stoopid tough guy.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 12:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, having the salt available is easy. The air is so dry and arid, that the sweat evaporates away leaving a crust of salt upon your brow.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember when I first started out in CMA and we had black uniforms..I realized after a couple of months that a strange, white residue was visible on my shirt after workouts. I was dumbfounded for a couple of weeks and thought they had given me some cheap-ass shirt.
    It took me a while to figure out the faint outline that was visible was traces of my own salt coming out through my perspiration.

As for training in the heat..I'm all for it indoors as long as there are a couple of fans and lots of cold water. But I'm not a fan of working out in the intense heat outdoors. I'll pass..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123