Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 2:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know you could have just included the blog link for this.

http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.co...es-the-school/

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 2:36pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

fixed

Posted On:
    9/02/2011 5:20pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

Yeah, that's me. I think that's what you're asking, right? I wasn't really ready to put that up, yet, but yeah whatever. I want to personalize the style of it a little more, rather than use the wordpress manufactured style (at least before I presented it anywhere). I like the background, but it might be a little too much Robert Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by doofaloopa
    Medical science sure is advancing. There is now a vacine for cervical cancer!

I have also read that frequent ejaculations can reduce a mans risk of prostrate cancer. Wankers like me should be OK!

I hear what you say about more precise methods of cancer testing, but a quick balls self exam is free, convienient and can be fun!
    Are you talking about the vaccine that's meant to protect people from HPV caused cancers?

This is much like the once a year mammogram controversy a couple of years ago.

See the problem with self-examination style testing is that you have to wait until you actually feel something like a tumor before you do anything. This is troublesome, because if you have a tumor already, well, that's probably already progressed fairly far maybe into metastasis if you're unlucky. In this case, you have only the worst case scenarios available to you for treatment and when our pharmacopeia has the least effectiveness against it.

Newer diagnostics will focus on early detection in this way to try to catch it earlier on.

Oh, and I'm not raining on your masturbation parade, jerk away captain. Just adding my input.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    9/07/2011 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    fixed
    That all you got, quickdraw?

We didn't even get to the cell cycle yet....

Honestly, what do you think of the role of future micro RNA based screening could have on cancer diagnosis?

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You lost me at 'quickdraw', but I'm no good at CAD

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You lost me at 'quickdraw', but I'm no good at CAD
    Yeah, I'm told that a frequent issue after a battle with testicular or prostate cancer is premature ejaculation. Don't worry, understand that its been found to be psychological for the most part. Just relax and it should sort itself out.

Speaking of micro RNAs, did you know that some clever research has shown that increased signal from certain mirco RNAs in kinds of lung cancers can be attacked using antisense oligionucleotides and that these re-established normal regulation-control systems of mitochondria!? This led to selective apoptosis of the cancerous cells!!

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did not know this

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 6:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Preposterous!!

Surely an 'overdrive activity champion' would have the time to read about the many advances showing that all cancers have alterations in their micro RNA expression and in general miRNA genes map to known areas of cancer causing mutations, especially those of tumor suppressor and oncogenes. Clearly there is some value to be seen in this information.

[Calin et al, PNAS 2002; Lu et al, Nature, 2005; Volinia & Calin et al, PNAS 2006; Landgraf et al, Cell 2007, MicroRNA genes map to cancer loci. Calin, G.A., et al.,2004. PNAS101:2999-3004 ]

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 8:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont talk to me about activity champion this, overdrive that, those feckers have given me a gimpy wrist!

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont talk to me about activity champion this, overdrive that, those feckers have given me a gimpy wrist!
    Well, to be fair that is a lot of jerkin' it.

Any hoo, here's a skinny on using synthetic micro RNAs to attack non-small cell lung cancer cells. It fits neatly into a couple of paragraphs, but that sure was a lot of work for these guys. You better send them an email or two telling them you appreciate their hard work.

Abstract

Background: MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are short single stranded noncoding RNAs that suppress gene expression through either translational repression or degradation of target mRNAs. The annealing between messenger RNAs and 59 seed region of
    miRNAs is believed to be essential for the specific suppression of target gene expression. One miRNA can have several hundred different targets in a cell. Rapidly accumulating evidence suggests that many miRNAs are involved in cell cycle regulation and consequentially play critical roles in carcinogenesis.

Methodology/Principal Findings: Introduction of synthetic miR-107 or miR-185 suppressed growth of the human nonsmall cell lung cancer cell lines. Flow cytometry analysis revealed these miRNAs induce a G1 cell cycle arrest in H1299 cells
    and the suppression of cell cycle progression is stronger than that by Let-7 miRNA. By the gene expression analyses with oligonucleotide microarrays, we find hundreds of genes are affected by transfection of these miRNAs. Using miRNA-target
    prediction analyses and the array data, we listed up a set of likely targets of miR-107 and miR-185 for G1 cell cycle arrest and
    validate a subset of them using real-time RT-PCR and immunoblotting for CDK6.

Conclusions/Significance: We identified new cell cycle regulating miRNAs, miR-107 and miR-185, localized in frequently altered chromosomal regions in human lung cancers. Especially for miR-107, a large number of down-regulated genes are annotated with the gene ontology term ‘cell cycle’. Our results suggest that these miRNAs may contribute to regulate cell
    cycle in human malignant tumors.
    Takahashi Y, Forrest ARR, Maeno E, Hashimoto T, Daub CO, et al. (2009) MiR-107 and MiR-185 Can Induce Cell Cycle Arrest in Human Non Small Cell Lung Cancer Cell Lines. PLoS ONE 4(8): e6677. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0006677

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast