Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good old karate, or the look on their faces

Just got reminded by the noobie teeth question thread... There's a tma Okinawan + Shorinji Kempo dojo in town that takes sparring very seriously (dojo started by Yukio Kono [who later went to KK back in Japan] in early 70s). They train pretty hard with explosive striking moves and two man kata with increasing resistance as they go through the ranks. So pretty good dojo. What is funny is what happens when they get ready to spar.

Sparring is a bid deal and only happens one night every three months. It's talked about and prep'd in training - the format is a big circle with two or three high rank bbs taking on everyone of their sex, one after another. The fun part is the beginning when Sensei passes out the "gloves" to the students sitting there waiting. They are these gross beat up thin cotton things with no padding, but plenty of old blood stains. All the n00bs get grossed out and cringe - I'm sure Sensei keeps them away from the washing machine on purpose; it adds a lot when the patina is blood stains from decades of impacts. The look on their faces is classic.

Oh, and it's supposed to be low contact, but we know how that goes. Last time I joined in the fun one fight got way out of hand and Sensei, who's a Vietnam vet with shitty knees, yelled yame (stop!) to no effect and leaped into the fight and grabbed one guy by the collar of his gi and his body was actually horizontal, parallel to the (hard wood) floor, flinging the aggressor off. I had no idea he could still move. I'm impressed with their intensity. Very different training from Kyokushin where we sparred often, or sport karate kickboxing where sparring was the whole point.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 1:48pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are these gross beat up thin cotton things with no padding, but plenty of old blood stains. All the n00bs get grossed out and cringe - I'm sure Sensei keeps them away from the washing machine on purpose; it adds a lot when the patina is blood stains from decades of impacts. The look on their faces is classic.
    That's not bad-ass. That's disgusting and unsafe.

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 2:40pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its ok as long as you dont bite your nails/suck your thumb

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 2:59pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring happens once every three months? That must be an amusing display of sparring.

@Rzero: Not every art can be as safe and un-disgusting as the Krav :Hehehe:

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -bloody old gloves sounds unsanitary, especially in a style where fighters are apt to have scrapes etc on their knuckles from other training.

-sparring only every 3 months? Why so far apart?

lol @ tags

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post

The fun part is the beginning when Sensei passes out the "gloves" to the students sitting there waiting. They are these gross beat up thin cotton things with no padding, but plenty of old blood stains. All the n00bs get grossed out and cringe - I'm sure Sensei keeps them away from the washing machine on purpose; it adds a lot when the patina is blood stains from decades of impacts. The look on their faces is classic.

Not to mention they hardly fit anymore

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 5:46pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, decades of hepatitis sounds like a good health booster. Its ok, some of the blood was there before they discovered AIDs.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 5:51pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read that there is more fecal matter bacteria in your sink than in your toilet

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 5:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If fecal matter is a synonym for ****, then I must wonder what you do with your sink.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 6:07pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring once every 3 months ... sounds really cool and fun!

Oh wait I meant the opposite of those things, it sounds ****.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast