--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi (with a question regarding teeth)

Hi,

I must first profess that I joined this site not because I already do martial arts, but because I've been meaning to get into it. I have found a school (Judo) which looks legit and am enthusiastic about beginning, but I do have one concern which bogs me:

My upper row of teeth jut out at quite an angle (almost 30 degs). When my jaw is shut, the crowns stick out quite a bit compared to that of my lower row. Will this leave me vulnerable to having some teeth blown out if I begin to practice Judo? And if so, is there anything which may help me protect my teeth (wearing a mouth guard, for example)?

Thanks.

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're not comfortable, then wear a mouthguard. Not because you're in danger of losing teeth, but, maybe to protect your upper lip from getting cut.

There are odd but RARE times when something will hit your mouth, usually it'll be an arm trying to shoot across for a pin or choke.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about in striking? If I take up a striking art (MT for example), what steps can I take to protect myself. Or is it advisable to stay completely away?

Style
    cult of crapple, ATTACK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your not planning on getting your grill fixed, I would stick to grappling mano. Just some personal advice. Wear a mouthguard at all times.

Style
    TSD, Karate & Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madeener View Post
    ...Will this leave me vulnerable to having some teeth blown out if I begin to practice Judo? And if so, is there anything which may help me protect my teeth (wearing a mouth guard, for example)?...
    I can't comment on Judo, as I've litterally only participated in 2 classes as a trial. However in every sport (especially in the MA) there is always the possibility of an accident. I would recommend, if you're worried and/or want professional advice, to see your dentist.

In the UK, dentists are happy to make you a custom-made mouthguard, which will fit your mouth exactly and protect your teeth and gums properly (stock and "boil & bite" guards protection are compromised by poor fit and retention). They aren't covered by the NHS, so costs can vary from dentist to dentist (so always get an estimate as they can be very expensive). So I can only assume that the same thing is true in the US.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a decent mouthguard you should be fine in standup. Not much damage if you are hit with larger gloves, bare fist or something like those thin gloves used by some karate dojo could be more of an issue. In my experience kicks have broke more teeth than punches.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are the boiled to fit gel ones by Shock Doctor any good? Those are the ones usually recommended to me by my peers, though I suspect even if those mouthguards work for them, it might not for me because of my rather extreme teeth alignment.

Style
    TSD, Karate & Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madeener View Post
    Are the boiled to fit gel ones by Shock Doctor any good? Those are the ones usually recommended to me by my peers, though I suspect even if those mouthguards work for them, it might not for me because of my rather extreme teeth alignment.
    In my opinion, they are better than the stock mouth guards (and some other brands of boil & bite mouth guards), but not as good as the custom-made ones from the dentist as it relies on the person him/herself to mould the gum shield properly. But then they (Shock Doctor) do have a wide range of mouth guards available, including a custom one.

-Ken