Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/07/2011 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CFGuy View Post
    Prince Vlad: Oh ok thanks, that makes sense. Yeah I just heard an interview with GSP where he talks about doing gi BJJ and how it makes him more technically precise, as you're much less slippery in a gi.
    I'm glad that GSP said that in print. Of course, it's obvious.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2011 1:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Searching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but to a new guy getting his thinking re-molded the obvious, basic stuff is good to hear, even though I sit here thinking "duh!" after I hear it.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    9/09/2011 12:26am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, but to a new guy getting his thinking re-molded the obvious, basic stuff is good to hear, even though I sit here thinking "duh!" after I hear it.
    well. good. Then you're gonna go out and find good Judo school (or any good grappling school for that matter, that trains LIVE) & supplement with some quality FMA training and 5 years from now you'll have more real fighting ability than 99% of the Godan in the Bujinkan and probably 99% of the Judan. You're going to do it, right? Right? because people around here hate repeating themselves, ESPECIALLY to the same people.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 9/09/2011 12:42am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 5:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I've been looking around a bit, and with finances and time being a restriction I realized I don't think I can afford to do both grappling and striking. So far I've tried Muay Thai, boxing and have yet to try BJJ but that's hopefully coming up soon.
    No Sambo or anything in the area, so I'm thinking that's about what I have to work with, aside from a judo school in town.
    If I had to go with one or the other, which would be the best to start with to lay a foundation? I loved boxing's technicality with punching, though I really do like the kicking aspect of Muay Thai as well. Can't really comment on grappling yet.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 11:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I had to go with one or the other, which would be the best to start with to lay a foundation? I loved boxing's technicality with punching, though I really do like the kicking aspect of Muay Thai as well. Can't really comment on grappling yet.
    chances are you're going to learn to box at the MT school, most teach good boxing. Plus you can buy a bag for training at home and do TONS more alone than you could if you started with a grappling art.

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 11:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where did u do mt? ive only seen it as part of an mma package.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 2:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    chances are you're going to learn to box at the MT school, most teach good boxing. Plus you can buy a bag for training at home and do TONS more alone than you could if you started with a grappling art.
    Good to know!
    What I'm wondering though, is: would it be effective if I took BJJ classes frequently, and then took MT classes every now and then and trained a whole lot at home? i.e. Class with instruction, take notes, practice at home, class again a month or two later, make corrections, train at home, etc.

Lindz: I'm across the pond.

PS - I think I've been purged of my ninja...ninjer ways. Btw showing this (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109218) to new guys would certainly help, it made a lot of sense.
    Last edited by CFGuy; 10/06/2011 2:23pm at .

Posted On:
    10/06/2011 5:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So not on the west coast of B.C. anymore?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 1:15am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to know!
    What I'm wondering though, is: would it be effective if I took BJJ classes frequently, and then took MT classes every now and then and trained a whole lot at home? i.e. Class with instruction, take notes, practice at home, class again a month or two later, make corrections, train at home, etc.

Lindz: I'm across the pond.

PS - I think I've been purged of my ninja...ninjer ways. Btw showing this (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109218) to new guys would certainly help, it made a lot of sense.
    I don't think you want to go that long away from class. If you really want to improve quickly I think you should be attending a bare minimum of 2 classes a week. Practicing is good, but a month of practice with no feedback and you are just going to be reinforcing bad habits you don't even know you have.

With bjj, you might be able to get away with going to classes less frequently if you practice with others who are as good or better than you at it, and by practice I mean mostly roll, and getting pointers on what your doing wrong. Even still I wouldn't recommend that either, as an instructor will be able to help you learn much faster.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/07/2011 2:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to know!
    If I were you, if I had the time to train a few times a week I'd do the grappling & find a way to learn some basic boxing on the side. Paying to do MT once a month is a bit silly. Just get a bag & learn some basic combos & work on conditioning (box the bag for rounds, 2 on / 1 off, or something like that.). There are TONS of informative vids on Youtube for bag drills. I would get some basic instruction on handwrapping, stance, etc from a real person tho.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910