Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 4:56pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Drycleaning Gis?

So, I don't know anything about drycleaning really, but our washing machine is fucked and I've only got a clotheshorse anyway which is usually covered in clothes.

Can you dryclean a gi? Most importantly, will it **** it up? Would they even bother being that it stinks like sweat and shame? It's mostly because i'm lazy as ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can. When I was getting sponsored I had a gi that I kept clean and only wore it for tournaments. I never washed it and only had it dry cleaned. My friends would make fun of me because I would show up with my gi on a hanger in a dry cleaning bag. It still looks near brand new.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    8/28/2011 5:21pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    You can. When I was getting sponsored I had a gi that I kept clean and only wore it for tournaments. I never washed it and only had it dry cleaned. My friends would make fun of me because I would show up with my gi on a hanger in a dry cleaning bag. It still looks near brand new.
    Thanks. Now I can look Fabulous both on and off the mat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 5:10am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do remember from my ju jitsu days there was a guy who never appeared to wash his gi (and stank of cigarette smoke). He always won when he rolled with people as no one wanted to be near him for more than a few seconds. Might work for you...... Or you get booted out from your dojo.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 5:43am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may be cheaper (hence better) for you to get a service wash (they wash and fold) instead of getting your Gi dry cleaned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 8:00am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to work in the dry cleaning business, don't bother, the solvent they use is actually worse for cleaning than water against most stuff (its good on ink and gloss paints), the only advantage is it doesn't shrink some interface materials they use in suits,

When I worked there we would actually put stuff in the washing machine rather than dry clean it as we knew it would get it cleaner!

Now, the steam pressing is another matter and a gi may benefit from that but a decent iron would probably be just as good,

Thank you for taking me back to that dark dark time in my life!! :(

P

Edit

When I mention suits I mean buisness type suits that have an inner lining and an interface layer between.
    Last edited by Pharabus; 8/30/2011 8:01am at . Reason: clarity