supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    too bad wrestling guys dont know any submissions and all... heh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 9:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    er, and just saw the crucifix/neck crank counter. i was wondering how something could be so ugly and flashy at the same time...

going for whatever that hop was is a bad idea if the guy in the crucifix keeps even a shred of upper arm control. he just drops to his shoulder while pulling the other guys arm and the other guy lands on his face with no hands to catch him... unless i missed something.

better to just use the crucifix outright and land on the attackers face. but i doubt thats ever been tried.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry os, hope this clarifies.

in the video that red rover linked to the guy defending the firemans carry has a setup for a side control 'crucifix' using legs and arms (like a 'banana split', only on the arms) when he reaches around the guys head and grabs the arm. instead of setting it then, he does the o-so-nifty little hop that could get him hurt, then readjusts his faulty arm control after the guy rolls on top of him. (at least how im seeing it.)

what i was saying is a much better (ie less convoluted) method of dealing with that situation would be simply sinking the hold and taking the shooter either over the top (pancake with arm block), or maintaining the same arm control and sprawling on his face into what they call a crucifix. i had assumed there was simply an overlap of nomenclature. in wrestling terms its just 'asking for a peterson' and will get you pinned. if the names dont make sense its cause i know no bjj etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2004 11:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your vid is what i was meaning by 'pancake with an arm block.' since in a firemans carry his momentum is going in the reverse direction, i apply the same move as he gets his tuck and he basically lands on his face.

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    3/27/2004 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm always amazed when folks think that collegiate/freestyle/greco wrestlers don't have any innate submissions. I don't know about anyone else, but the only difference between cranking for points/pinfall and submission is that the end objective differs. For example, if I go for a crossface to drive you onto your side and back for a pinfall, I can do the same maneuver and turn it into a choke or neck crank just by modifying my end objective.

Posted On:
    3/28/2004 4:54am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you sink or drop your ass and feet back the fireman's carry wil be rendered useless.

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    3/31/2004 5:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think someone extening an arm for a right cross, ala JohnnyS is a great example of when to use a firemans carry on the "street." Just make sure you drill the hell out of it, then use it alot in rolling/grappling first.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    3/31/2004 5:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by KillerInstinct
    If you sink or drop your ass and feet back the fireman's carry wil be rendered useless.
    Are you suggesting using a sprawl against a lower body attack? Blasphemy!

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/31/2004 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it could work. Although two things:

1. Watch out for your opponant working a knees smash into your head as you go below.
    2. You must have good timing amd momentum to carry it through.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast