Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 5:22pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    I'm kinda on the same page, I guess I'll say what happened in a little more detail. My dad passed away Sophmore year in highschool. Junior year I smoked weed pretty much everyday by myself because I felt I needed some alone time. I told my doc about it and she was like "no **** youre having panic attacks, weed does that to people who have a predisposition to anxiety and depression in the first place." So I'm kind of an idiot. Anybody ever try fish oil?
    Wow...weird. My dad passed away during my sophmore year in high school as well, after a protracted battle with lymphoma. I spent the next 4 years partying constantly and eventually ran smack into full fledged panic attack disorder at the age of 19-20. I went through a period of time of not being able to leave my apartment. I got some control of it after a few months, but still periodically had attacks for the next few years. Eventually, I stopped drinking coffee and that almost ended the attacks completely, but there was still always a little anxiety. I hated large crowds.

Finally, I started exercising more, and got into Aikijutsu. The breathing techniques and increased (though not super intense) workouts worked to alleviate more of my anxiety over the next few years. Finally, last September, I started engaging in truly alive martial arts with heavy workouts. I can honestly say that I've not even felt the twinge of a panic attack since. Even pot, which used to cause me anxiety when I'd do it, now just makes me feel good, like it's supposed to.

I FIRMLY believe that most people suffering from the chemical imbalances which cause anxiety and panic need more exercise...flush that **** out, get the endophins flowing, have more confidence out in public. Sure, see a doctor if you need, but also hit the gym hard and see if that doesn't clear it up.

Remember, a panic attack isn't going to kill you, even if it feels like it will. PM me if you have anything you want to ask privately.

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 9:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anxiety is not caused by chemical imbalances. It is caused by stress, which triggers the autonomous nervous system aka the "fight or flight" response. Very simply, the stress builds up, there is no release, and eventually it triggers a chemical response. Any type of exercise helps relieve stress, and strenuous exercise often is the best. The autonomic nervous system has two parts: the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic releases the chemicals for "fight or flight" and the parasympathetic stabilizes the body afterward. For people with the disorder, the parasympathetic malfunctions. My view is that this is cause by chronic worriers. It is a mental thing.

There is a circular type of thinking that creates stress. For example, when I suffered from panic disorder, I was constantly worried about having heart attacks. This worrying would cause anxiety, and of course, chest pain, which caused me to worry that I was having a heart attack.

Anxiety is a very serious matter and is often created by unrealistic viewpoints or expectations and rigid beliefs about self-worth, achievement, and other nonsense characteristic of a "civilized" society with a social order based upon owning **** and being ****. The answer is to either achieve your goal or come the realization the goal is not worth destroying yourself over. Drugs and alcohol, lack of exercise, other addictions only make things worse.

In my case, I never really moved beyond the belief system that created the anxiety, I simply achieved the goal, which ended the anxiety for the time being. One thing that helped during that period was Ativan, which I kept with me at all times. At a certain point, just having it with me stopped the attacks, although there are other things you can do to stop them when they start to come on.

Some people will think it is stupid, but Buddhist meditation and strenuous exercise or IMO the most effective treatments.

My two cents.

For
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 1:35am

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    I FIRMLY believe that most people suffering from the chemical imbalances which cause anxiety and panic need more exercise...flush that **** out, get the endophins flowing, have more confidence out in public. Sure, see a doctor if you need, but also hit the gym hard and see if that doesn't clear it up.

Remember, a panic attack isn't going to kill you, even if it feels like it will. PM me if you have anything you want to ask privately.
    I knew I came to the right place! Thanks man I'll def do that sometime. It was weird because I was doing Muay Thai but still kinda nervous all the time, it was a hard workout but I feel Jiu Jitsu will do the trick. I mean, I was wrestling with my cousins and I felt really good after it so I might as well try it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 1:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Some people will think it is stupid, but Buddhist meditation and strenuous exercise or IMO the most effective treatments.

My two cents.

For
    I went to a psychic once, and everything she said was wrong except for that I needed to meditate more. Meditating is my shiiiiitttttt.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 5:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, because introspection for young men looking to find their place
    in the world is SOOOO beneficial!!!

Rule #1: INTROSPECTION = BAAAAAAAAAAAAD

If you have woes, tell them to the IRON!

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/stre...-henry-rollins

...Or to the playstation, if you are a whimp like me.

EDIT:

Oh, look what I found!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 5:24am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    I'm kinda on the same page, I guess I'll say what happened in a little more detail. My dad passed away Sophmore year in highschool. Junior year I smoked weed pretty much everyday by myself because I felt I needed some alone time. I told my doc about it and she was like "no **** youre having panic attacks, weed does that to people who have a predisposition to anxiety and depression in the first place." So I'm kind of an idiot. Anybody ever try fish oil?
    Just quit smoking weed, it takes a few months for it to fully get out of your system and eliminating it can help. Fish oil is good but I've never heard of it being a cure for anxiety disorder. If your doctor didn't get you fixed up then you need to try another - quite often a very short course of medication can get your head sorted out enough to get you over it. Just remember it's very curable but you need to deal with it properly or it will go on and on. Exercise, caffeine and stress were the big triggers for me along with dwelling on the negative points in life which eventually frames your viewpoint of everything.
    Last edited by Prince Vlad; 8/25/2011 5:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 5:54am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    In my case, I never really moved beyond the belief system that created the anxiety, I simply achieved the goal, which ended the anxiety for the time being. One thing that helped during that period was Ativan, which I kept with me at all times. At a certain point, just having it with me stopped the attacks, although there are other things you can do to stop them when they start to come on.

My two cents.

For
    Very interesting, that is pretty much how I did it too but it took a course of SSRI's to stop it suddenly and allow me to start thinking straight again. It's very hard for anyone who hasn't experienced it to understand just how bad it feels - adrenaline dumps, cold sweats, tachycardia, difficulty breathing and swallowing, trembling, feeling of dread and impending death, confusion, involuntary twitches, tunnel vision, ringing in the ears, repeating mental loops.... fucking awful! Deep breathing has kept them away during stressful situations since along with copious amounts of hard training and a better outlook on life.

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 7:48am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some good points here. Worthwhile and valuable.

1. Diet. Vary it rather than just stick to the same old things. Big flaw of mine. Just had my smoked Scottish Mackerel with peppers - so that'll cheer my doctor.

2. Reduce or cut out Alcohol. This can disturb sleeping patterns which can elevate underlying stress and hence amplify it. Circular as has been mentioned above.

3. Drugs. Don't.

4. Go running - easy pace rather than visualising yourself breasting the tape ahead of Usain Bolt. Sustained running will help to purge the adrenalin and coritsone(?) laying unspent in your muscles and nervous system. So, you'll get more relief from them being spent.

5. Get some quality sleep. Stress will often make you Fearful of night sleeping so you'll eventually compensate by 'crashing' during the day.

6. Try to be a friend to yourself. Try to meet and make new friends.

7. Meditate (focus on your Breathing). Go Fishing and watch that Float. Who cares if you don't catch any fish (I haven't the patience for fishing but I recognise its worth - and you can eat that Mirror Carp - no! put it back). Try Drawing, Painting, Model Shipbuilding - anything to lower your Stress, deepen your Breathing, clearing your Mind, slowing your overactive Thinking. No jokes about Sil Lum Tai (that WC Little idea but then again....)

8. Doctor. Go see him or her. Take their advice. Note that SSRIs (Seroxat/Paroxetine) can elevate your Anxiety to appalling levels before it becomes effective. Tell your doctor and supplement Diazepam until your Anxiety level drops to a more manageable level until the SSRI takes palliative effect.

9. Panic Attacks won't harm you - as has been mentioned - so try to keep that in Mind.

I'll stop here. As said, there is good advice in this Thread so that will help aid those in difficulty.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 8/25/2011 7:51am at . Reason: typos

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm worried-to-death about becoming too afraid to write that I'm too scared to be frightened at the terrifying prospect of anxiety attacks.

Besides, if anxiety attacks you, go jab-shoot-clinch-underhooks-to-kata-guruma and finish by spiking anxiety's head on the sidewalk.

Do it. Anxiety will to scared to bother you again, ever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be on SSRI's back in the day but after dad passed I decided I wanted to do everything on my own. Honestly I don't believe in the stuff.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast