Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 4:15am

Style: Working out

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Before and After Martial Arts

I'm sure this has been posted before but I wanted to ask it anyways. When I did Jiu Jitsu I feel that was the most confident I have ever been in my life. I had always been stupidly confident before, but that was because I was ignorant. This year I developed an extreme case of anxiety so bad that somedays I wouldn't leave my house to go to school because I was so fucking scared; it was bad:IamDisappointed:. I'm a lil better now but feel that if I take Jiu Jitsu again I'll regain that old confidence I used to have back in the dizay (day). Does anyone have any similar experiences to this?
    :friends:

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 7:12am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    I'm sure this has been posted before but I wanted to ask it anyways. When I did Jiu Jitsu I feel that was the most confident I have ever been in my life. I had always been stupidly confident before, but that was because I was ignorant. This year I developed an extreme case of anxiety so bad that somedays I wouldn't leave my house to go to school because I was so fucking scared; it was bad:IamDisappointed:. I'm a lil better now but feel that if I take Jiu Jitsu again I'll regain that old confidence I used to have back in the dizay (day). Does anyone have any similar experiences to this?
    wat?

You mean BJJ or JJJ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 7:22am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    no, it sounds like something bad must have happened to you and this triggered the anxiety attacks, martial arts may help again in the long run but for now seek proper medical help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 9:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second the above suggestion of getting help. I've had anxiety attacks, and they suck. Don't think martial arts would have helped that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 10:02am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, for those who don't know, anxiety attacks don't automatically mean someone has suffered some horrible life altering experience. It's possible, but many times it is just a chemical imbalance in the brain, as in my case.

BJJ certainly helped me. I suffered through a similar situation for a long time. Several years in fact. I was prescribed zoloft to combat panic attacks, and that helped. I would still have break through events fairly frequently though. I was pretty bad at times. I too would sometimes be too panicked to leave the house, especially at night. I developed a mild case of agoraphobia. One weekend I basically just had a nervous fucking meltdown.

Started training Bjj on a regular basis and my quality of life improved in a couple ways. Lost a little weight, gained a little confidence, met new people, etc. And my anxiety attacks stopped.

I'm not saying it was immediate by any means. But after a few months of training I felt comfortable enough to stop taking my medication (after consulting my doctor of course). I had been weaned off before, but the attacks had always resumed. But not this time.

Now, this doesn't necessarily mean Bjj cured me. For many people, anxiety will eventually disappear on its own. Maybe it was just my time to get better. But, i believe Bjj helped for the following reasons:

1. Most importantly, got me physically active. Exercise releases endorphins that elevate mood. Its like an all natural xanax.

2. Met new people and became more socially active. Was out doing things instead of sitting at home waiting for a panic attack to occur.

3. Mental state: Fear of panic attacks can often trigger a panic attack in itself. The thought of not taking your pills can makes you believe an attack is inevitable. Bjj gave me the confidence to say to myself, "You know what, if it happens, it happens, and I'll get through it and I'll be fine." This change in outlook is incredibly important because it breaks that self sustaining cycle of fear and anxiety. After a while of not having attacks I became confident enough to stop taking the meds.

Diet, exercise can help tons. So, I'm not a doctor obviously and you should see one, if you haven't already. Exercise isn't a cure-all. But, overall, I'm extremely glad I found Bjj and really believe it helped me.
    Last edited by hurr2323; 8/24/2011 10:08am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 11:06am

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After finding my teacher I can definitively say that my appreciation and confidence in my handling of the baton has increased. I now practice constantly and am looking at learning sinawali drills for handling 2 batons at once.

My wife tells me the neighbors kids must have seen me practicing and told their parents, they probably think I'm some stick twirling nutbag.
    Last edited by MAGIC HATE BALL; 8/24/2011 11:11am at . Reason: forgot to add further crap

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 11:34am

Style: BJJ n stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I over horrible anxiety which came on after a bad drug experience. I was at a crossroads in life where things could have gone any direction when I joined a BJJ club. The physical exercise, natural endorphins, sense of team, extreme hardship and goal setting pretty much changed my life. So yes, I would say if you are suffering from anxiety (which is no laughing matter) definitely go back training. Also, speak to a doctor. Your anxiety could be caused by any number of reasons including hormonal fluctuations, stress, dietary issues, sleep deprivation, serotonin imbalance etc. It's very rarely anything serious but it can feel like pure hell, the good news is it can be fixed pretty easily. Exercise was one of the first things my doctor advised and as I said it helped enormously.
    Last edited by Prince Vlad; 8/24/2011 11:37am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 1:10pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP - Your fears are completely justified.

They're all out to get you.

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

**** you **** you **** you!!!!! Die die die!!!!!

Redrum. Redrum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 1:47pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    I over horrible anxiety which came on after a bad drug experience.
    I'm kinda on the same page, I guess I'll say what happened in a little more detail. My dad passed away Sophmore year in highschool. Junior year I smoked weed pretty much everyday by myself because I felt I needed some alone time. I told my doc about it and she was like "no **** youre having panic attacks, weed does that to people who have a predisposition to anxiety and depression in the first place." So I'm kind of an idiot. Anybody ever try fish oil?

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fish oil = good stuff

Unless you're talking about mixing it with crack, in which case dunno.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast