Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spider Guard Sweep Kuzushi

I've been working on utilizing the over-hooky spider guard (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ix-tTDFty4...rip+detail.jpg), and particularly trying to use this hook in combination with my other shin across their stomach/hips with my knee pointing out.

The sweep I'm currently working on involves loading their weight onto the knee across their hips and using your spider hook and a grip on their pantleg to direct their motion.

The sticking point thus far has been breaking their balance using my spider hook. It's unclear to me whether I'm trying to scoot my hips underneath and turn my hips out, use the hook to pull them forward or some other variant I haven't thought of, or possibly using different motions in conjunction, in which case I don't know when which one is best.

Thoughts?

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where I train, they always call this the hook guard, not that the nomenclature is terribly important...

There are so many sweeps from here, but I would say that more often than not, I use it as a setup for the omoplata, rather than a sweep. When I do sweep with it, though, I usually extend my leg a bit to put pressure on the trapped shoulder, and either lift on the other side pant leg or do a sitout... But really, rather than doing specific techniques, I just think of trapping that arm so they can't base, and then push/pull.

Tsun-Derrorist

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 1:23am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the style of spider I normally use. I believe there was a retarded fifteen page flamewar about this back in 07 because Osiris insisted on calling it the "crab guard" and everyone thought he'd made that up.

What you're trying to do is turn so you're 90 degrees to the facing of his hips. Weigh suddenly heavy, stretch him out, and underhook that near side leg if you can so you load him onto that knee that's across his hip. Here's the thing about this: You can't force it. Most people say this as a figure of speech or a reminder to not muscle things but in this case it's literally true. If after the first couple pelvic thrusts he's not going over and you try to force it you'll actually physically burn yourself out before you sweep him. He has to be loaded on you.

The reaction of someone who knows that kind of spider guard though isn't to drop his weight onto you, but to posture up and pull back. At this point you have to choose which arm you're going to attack because you can't switch sides easily in this position and you're going 2-3 attacks deep.

If you attack the hooked side, your first attack when he postures/withdraws, should be spinning under to omoplata. Don't insist on the omoplata though if you can't break him down after one or two hip thrusts, as he'll be near vertical and your legs are now twined around his arm. Also everyone can totally see your ass and its associated sweat stains in that position. Throw the leg over the back just as if you were defending a regular stacked omoplata. Or if you're feeling gimmicky, do a cruciplata.

If you're gonna attack the non hooked side, we'll assume for this post that he's not dumb enough to wing his elbow out and give you an easy underhook. Take the foot from across his hip and insert it under his hips, between his calf and thigh on the hooked side. Now abandon the spider hook on that side and use the pants/knee grip to bring your head close enough to enter X or deep 1/2.

Where are you training in DC?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 1:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet deal Hedge. Thanks.

I moved to Sweden in June, so now I'm at Checkmat Halmstad. When I was in DC I trained at BETA in Columbia Heights between September-December but the commute murdered me so I spent the spring at Capital down in VA.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 8:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, do you know of any sweeps that take advantage of people's tendency to lean back? In a few cases I've been able to use my hook to push people off their base backwards, but I suspect that may be because they had poor balance more than anything else.

Tsun-Derrorist

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he leans towards the unhooked side you can block his leg, kick your legs up and back and backwards shoulder roll over. Otherwise no. I think you have to use his lean as a way he's opened up space for you instead and immediately start hipping out hard, preferably with a low underhook, unless you're taking the options I outlined above.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children