Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @judoka_uk

I never doubted your, nor anyone's advice, for a second, nor am I naive enough to think that there is a magical method to accelerate my progress. I was simply afraid that I would be missing out a key ingredient, or if I was to receiving 'watered down' instruction (being aware that in some gyms groups training for recreation and for competition are put in different sessions). I am no stranger to hard work (two years of conscripted military service has done me a grand introduction) and am glad to know that I will be tested constantly again, because challenge gives me a certain lease of life. This thread has done its part in reassuring me, and again I'd like to thank you and everyone else who has posted.

EDIT: Will be following your blog closely.
    Last edited by madeener; 8/24/2011 10:36am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 5:16pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come ask after you've been training for atleast 6 months. It's good you have the attitude you seem to have. But, if every school had a dollar for every gung ho new guy that walked through the class they'd all be millionares.

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 1:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madeener View Post
    @judoka_uk

I never doubted your, nor anyone's advice, for a second, nor am I naive enough to think that there is a magical method to accelerate my progress. I was simply afraid that I would be missing out a key ingredient, or if I was to receiving 'watered down' instruction (being aware that in some gyms groups training for recreation and for competition are put in different sessions). I am no stranger to hard work (two years of conscripted military service has done me a grand introduction) and am glad to know that I will be tested constantly again, because challenge gives me a certain lease of life. This thread has done its part in reassuring me, and again I'd like to thank you and everyone else who has posted.

EDIT: Will be following your blog closely.
    Jolly good, I've often encountered noobs who are clamouring to compete they don't realise what it takes to get good at Judo, they get frustrated because it doesn't all fall into their lap and they don't get to be Olympic champion after 4 weeks and quit.

So I like to be honest and realistic with people.

I might know a few people who may be able to recommend good dojo on Singapore to supplement your uni training with. I assume you're at uni in Singapore and not elsewhere?

Although the coach at my uni club was an international level player 90% of the students training there were just doing it once a week recreationally I got most of my beatings and mat time at other local clubs that were more serious.

So if you want to get better and feel that the uni club may not have what you're looking for boosting your training hours with visits to local clubs may well fill the hole.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recreational judo? Really? That kind of sucks, considering it's a collegiate class. You won't really get what judo has to offer if they water it down for the masses like that...recreational basketball is still basketball. Recreational judo sounds like...Twister and playing footsies.

The thing I noticed about college judo (assuming yours was a large class like mine...50+ students per night) was that people were there for all different reasons, and a lot of them came and went before they learned anything. I stuck around through several semesters (even though only Judo I and II were offered in a year, I attended the same I and II sessions for several years for no additional credit, but I got to know/roll with our instructor and his seniors quite a bit).

- Some guys/girls wanted to get in shape (the fat people)
    - Some guys/girls wanted a Phys Ed credit
    - To meet potential dates/hookups in a grappling/gym setting (yes...it's still college).
    - To take an MA class so they can tell their friends they're taking an MA class
    - To learn an MA well (like me. This was the smallest subset in my experience).

So, asking the senior instructor during the first class these questions may have made him look at you and wonder if this was the first and last time you'd ever see each other. If you stick with it for at least a little while it'll probably be easier to get personal attention from the senior students...who probably wouldn't have any problem rolling with you full force, once you've got the basics down.

Over the semesters I did Judo, a core of students stuck around and progressed, the vast majority stayed 1 class, or a couple classes...maybe one semester so that they could collect he credit.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/25/2011 3:36pm at .

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 11:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @judoka_uk
    Yes, I'm in a Singapore university. The suggestion of supplementing my training outside the club in my own time has been given to me by both the sensei and the club's president. The class recommended is a 3 day a week at the sensei's commercial dojo (called SAJudo--there's a website for it). It falls on every day that he isn't instructing at a school (he instructs at all of Singapore's major universities and tertiary institutions at the moment, iirc) so these days don't clash with my club's schedule, bringing my load up to five sessions per week if I choose to go for it. I'm in favour of the idea, but I'll probably wait though--I think my body still needs a bit of time to get used to the hurt and mat burn lol (hips hurting somewhat after my second session). I'm also aware that I may have to purchase another gi as well, which is a pretty big investment for me.

@W. Rabbit
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I spent quite some time thinking about whether I'd be one of the majority before I decided to write my name down on that list. Half the initial lot weren't around for the second session, but because of that we newbies get to try rolling around the ground trying to hold each other down (I won't call it ne-waza because while we were taught the kesa gatame, most of us didn't really know what we were doing). I suspect it was a decimation strategy of sorts to have those who weren't so sure of staying to have a taste of the sweat and pain to force them to decide, but I was lucky to find a really enthusiastic guy 10 kg heavier than I to mud fight with. Probably not the best technical training at my level, but it sure fortified my decision to come back for more lol.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 1:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Howdy,

Not to thread-jack, but I envy someone who has access to Judo instruction; despite what I've heard from locals*, Judo looks like total fun!

* I've been told that Judo is dangerous and it's practioners run a fairly high risk of twisted knees, ankles and broken finger, et al. I say Judo looks like fun anyway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12