Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2011 8:58pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lonsdale MMA/grappling gloves

So, when getting back into MMA I needed some new gloves as I'd accidentally left my older gloves on a train back from training months before then. So I walk into my local sports direct looking for a pair of fairly cheap MMA gloves to get me going while I can afford some of the better stuff. Here I see a pair of Lonsdale London MMA gloves (didn't know Londsdale did MMA equipment but carry on) for 5... So I picked them up.

They came in two sizes either small/medium or large/xl. I picked up the larger set as the medium size didn't fit at all (not a good start as my hands aren't impressively big). There the type of glove where your thumb goes through a hole in the bottom rather than having a slot for it too.

Trying them on, the pad end is a little too big for my hand making me look kind of ridiculous however the finger slots are incredibly small and tight same goes for the wrist slot that I have to struggle to get my hand out of.

When wearing them, they're terribly uncomfortable. They rub on your fingers and the effect is worsened when they come into physical contact with anything else (punching, block ect..) my hands are red raw after a training session with them, some times to the point that I've got cuts on my fingers from the rubbing.

The pad it self is extremely flat and its really hard to make a fist while wearing them. The whole thing seems cheap, the material seems cheap and the stitching looks terrible. The rubbery leathery feel of it is terrible.

However if I was to give it a pro I'd say that while there's only on colour option it is at least aesthetically pleasing and matches up well with the rest of my training gear. I don't know about the durability of them though I can't imagine them lasting long.

To sum it up. They're uncomfortable, feel tacky and either way too big or way too small. I'd recommend them only if your in desperate need of MMA gloves and you can't quite afford some better gloves. Though get rid of them quick and get something a little more comfortable the investment would be worth it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 8:37am

Style: BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lonsdale seem to be going downhill these days. I used to think of them as a good brand, but I had problems with the weight lifting gloves I bought.

I'm tiny (really, really tiny), and the medium weight training gloves they make fit me well. However, after a month of using them for deadlifts they were, quite literally, coming apart at the seams.

I haven't seen the MMA gloves you're talking about, but based on my own experience with the brand I'm not surprised that the sizing is on the small side and they don't feel very well made.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 8:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by etali View Post
    Lonsdale seem to be going downhill these days.
    They've refocused their business from actual sports gear to the much more profitable one of making t-shirts for wankers. Getting bought by Sports Direct may have something to do with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 4:57am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by etali View Post
    Lonsdale seem to be going downhill these days. I used to think of them as a good brand, but I had problems with the weight lifting gloves I bought.

I'm tiny (really, really tiny), and the medium weight training gloves they make fit me well. However, after a month of using them for deadlifts they were, quite literally, coming apart at the seams.

I haven't seen the MMA gloves you're talking about, but based on my own experience with the brand I'm not surprised that the sizing is on the small side and they don't feel very well made.
    Yep, the labelling of hand compartments do seem to be slightly off. I am 5"4, female, and my hands fit no problem into M sized gloves.

As for the quality though- I may be using the slightly older version products of Lonsdale (certainly not the newer black and bronze line they have) but they seem to hold up quite well. They are also plenty comfortable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2011 5:56am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got some old bag work gloves from Lonsdale that have held up well, fit comfortably and well have done me fine over the last few years. Maybe its just the new line of products? or maybe they don't know how to make MMA equipment. I honestly thought these gloves were a cheap cash in on the recent craze.

The worst thing about these gloves (MMA) is that, while I purchased them at 5 (which is stunningly cheap for sporting equipment) it showed the r.r.p on the label and they were at one point sold at 29.99... Think if I'd bought them at that price I'd probably be a wee bit more upset.