Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 3:19pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FMK Karate, What do u think...

A friend that is moving to upstate NY asked me about this school(since it is by his home). I looked at the web site, and it does not mention anything about instructors experience or instructors. What do u guys think?

http://www.fmkkarateschool.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:31pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think their use of "lux aeterna" would have worked out better for them if they were doing something more intense than breaking 1" thick (maybe) white pine boards and doing some sorta iaido in a park. I see absolutely no sparring footage at all, not even non-contact. Not even a photograph.

I guess this is supposed to be Shotokan?

I see a long list of "hall of fame" awards apparently given to him. What is this? I do not know.

I do not see anywhere any mention of training lineage.

Haha, they do Zumba and cardio kickboxing... well I guess everyone has to keep the lights on.

Me, I'd suggest that you contact them and ask them what level of contact they have in their sparring, and how often they spar. Otherwise it looks like it's a school that drills and does kata and doesn't actually have any kind of alive training. Self defense in any situation? Any? I hope they have a shooting range out back, heh.

Also, can someone please explain this stance to me?

I honestly would like to know, as we do not, as far as I have ever seen, do that in Kyokushin. To me, it screams "please stomp on my shin and maybe mess up my knee. This shin, right here." But I must be missing something...

*edit*

"Karate for Sport
    Karate tournaments feature Kata and Kumite competition. Kata are sequences of prearranged Karate movements. Kata contestants are judged on proper technique, power, grace, rhythm, and level of difficulty.
    Kumite is freestyle sparring. Contestants score points by executing karate techniques against a live opponent with full power and commitment, but stopping them just an inch shy of their target."

LAAAAAME. Because when you get attacked, your opponent will totally stop an inch shy of you. Might as well do interpretative dance if you aren't going to make any contact at all. Why learn to fight and never actually fight? Someone with this kind of training would crumple in an actual fight because sometimes strikes get through, and hell, even blocking a full-force blow is painful and you might not be ready for it without any conditioning.

I mean, how do you know if it actually works if you never actually test it out?

I do not understand non-contact point sparring.

*EDIT 2*

I would suggest that your friend check out these people. I don't know them, but-

http://www.yosaischoolofkarate.com/Pages/photos.html

Probably a much better bet.
    Last edited by Evergrey; 8/21/2011 5:12pm at .

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 12:37am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Also, can someone please explain this stance to me?

That was used in ancient Japan to duck under a horse and punch it in its dangling dong while the horse stands there, relaxing in the sun, banging his willy against his belly.

There may be video of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 1:37am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    ...I guess this is supposed to be Shotokan?...
    Well a modified version anyway, FMK-Shotokan-Ryu according to the news clip:

And the info here:

...The board of Soke, consisting of existing Soke from Los Angeles, California (one of the editors of Black Belt Magazine), Denmark, Wisconsin, and Tennessee, reviewed all material and aspects of Kushner's FMK-Shotokan-Ryu, and determined it is an independent Karate style...
    It's called Soke (so-kay???), at least that's how I think it's spelt and sounds...

Doing a quick search over the internet, looks like he has a background in Shotokan Karate. As there are many different "World Martial Arts Hall of Fame", I'm not sure which ones he belongs to.

Personally, I'm not sure. I would actually see what the classes are like before I make any decisions. One thing that I would take into consideration though is if this is a temporary move, (if one was to start this style) if the next move was going to be further afield, you'd have to start another style from stratch again unless your lucky to find a Shotokan school which accept that training as Shotokan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 1:41am

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FMK emphasizes: CHARACTER-SINCERITY-EFFORT-ETIQUETTE-SELF-CONTROL!!!!!!

The video of him "handling" the samurai sword is hi-larious. I like how women carry their children right pass the barefoot on a dirty floor, 40+ yr old white man in shiny red pajamas swinging a deadly weapon without a hint of concern.

But seriously, is there really nothing better in Binghamton, NY?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Uncle Skippy, Just so long as you aren't masturbating to it.

Also yes, those are very shiny and I am not sure what lead him to making that decision. I honestly think your friend would probably be better off with big hair lady... her style is a cross between Kyokushin and World Oyama, which are pretty similar, and generally quite well-respected in the martial arts world, especially for karate. I don't know for sure though, as I do not know her.

This guy's school seems to be more about self-esteem. Just don't get in a real fight, or it might shatter. Of course, I might be wrong, but the no contact sparring is a major red flag in my eyes.
    Last edited by Evergrey; 8/22/2011 1:45am at .

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGIC HATE BALL View Post
    The most surreal juxtaposition I've seen in weeks: the guy doing his sword form in front while a swordfight breaks out in the background between 1:00 - 1:12

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 2:47am