Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2011 8:48pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I was unclear, I just meant he can't send it directly to me. My understanding was that the fee for the FFL was on both ends and kind of expensive. Do you only need to pay the fee on the receiving end?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 7:32pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    I don't really intend to go hunting with it. I mean, I would if the opportunity presented itself, but I don't think I know anyone who hunts and I would be at a loss as to what to do with a dead duck. Shooting trap was fun though, and I want to try skeet next time.

The cost of the shotguns I was looking at was pretty low. I could probably get away with $350 new. If I go for an over/under, and considering I DON'T need anything spiffy, about how much are we talking about?

A thousand at the minimum for anything decent. Just go with a Mossberg or 870 until you decide if you wish to really pursue trap or skeet , buy an 18.5 for defense and a 28 full for trap , maybe a 26 modified for skeet , or buy a 28 with the inserts and jump back and forth between full and modified chokes.

For trap with no doubles believe it or not the single shot inexpensive Model 37s work quite well if you want a real cheap dedicated shotgun.

The over unders and good side by sides....not for 35o , not even used , only exception perhaps being a Stoeger , which I once denigrated , now I own four. Take a look.Still over your 350 mark new but I can vouch for their quality , nowhere near as good as my Perazzi or Brownings but one hell of a lot more than actually expected.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 7:40pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    The 887 looks like a monster. I love it.

Actually I'm trying to get my hands on my uncle's old side by side that has been fired maybe six times in the last 30 years. Hopefully the barrel is long enough for trap and skeet. The trouble is that by law, he can't send it to me from out of state. I, however, can go to Massachusetts, take it, and mail it back to my Oregon address, so it may not happen until the holidays.

What kind of side by side ? You should pursue that it might be something really worthwhile like an old Fox or Browning or god forbid a Parker Hale or the like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 12:39am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Jazzman, I did buy a Stoeger. My priorities changed when I started dating my current girlfriend, whose father started taking me duck and goose hunting, with the likelihood of going out for other birds later. I actually came back to this thread a bunch of times to reread things as I got more informed, so thanks everyone for all that information.

It's not an over under or side by side, I got the P350 (pump). 28" barrel, came with 5 chokes, shoots 3.5" shells. It looks a lot like a Benelli Nova, and as Stoeger is owned by Benelli, it may well be the same thing without the special button that lets you remove the round in the chamber without loading a new round from the magazine. At $300 I figured it was the best combination of qualities I wanted, price, and it felt good when I handled it.

Unfortunately, it double feeds. I stayed away from the 887 after hearing some bad reviews about it, but here I am with a gun that doesn't work right anyway. And Stoeger is being asinine about it. They won't talk to me to see if I have to send it back or if I can take it to a local gunsmith. Sorry guys, for all the good advice, it looks like I failed so far.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345