Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consider doubling your price and looking for a good one of these used.

Browning Citori

You're talking about shooting trap. Best to have a trap gun.

Recommend full and extra full barrels for a long shot string. If you get any good, you won't stay on the 16 yard line for long.

You don't want no stinking 20 gauge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 11:45pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) RE SoulMechanic: I am not going to just walk into Walmart and buy a shotgun.
    2) RE senseipookie: I am secure about the size of my penis.
    3) RE dflanmod: What's wrong with rolling up to a range with a black shotgun? Okay, I now see why if I pulled this out and said "I'd like to shoot some trap," that would be funny. But if I put a longer barrel on it, what's the problem?
    4) RE hungryjoe: Why do I not want a stinking 20 gauge? Is that not big enough in case I run into Huple's cat?

I still have research to do before I decide what to buy. I should probably find out what I shot at the range. I assumed it was 12 gauge, but I can't remember specifically checking. In any case, I didn't find the recoil very difficult to control. He said "You need ammo?" and I said "I need everything." They were very friendly and supportive there, and asked me at least twice if I was having fun. Which I was. Which is why I'd like to be able to do it again.

The dual barrel solution sounds likely, since it would give me flexibility on the cheap and a reason to practice switching out the barrel. The 870 combo comes with a 26" barrel, the 500 combo comes with a 28" barrel, if that matters. Guys at the range had told me 30", MAYBE 28" would do it. Buying an 870 and then whatever barrel I want separately is not going to be much more than a preboxed package though.

And back to Walmart: Not happening. My friend the police officer has a brother who owns a gun shop, and there are pretty regular gun shows in the Portland area. I figure take my buddy along, find a good deal on a used one, find whatever barrel I need, and then get the basics for cleaning and whatnot.
    Last edited by watchman; 8/21/2011 11:48pm at . Reason: Could not resist Catch-22 reference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 12:00am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing "wrong" with showing up at the trap range with a black "tacticool" shotgun and a long barrel.
    It's just kinda like wearing shorts and a tank top to wedding.
    It's also kinda like putting cornrows on a white guy. (tactical w 26" barrel)
    It's like entering your pinto into a classic car show.
    You can do it. You just won't look cool.

The 870 express with the 2 barrels and wood stock will do both things you want it to without the extra cheese factor of a "defense" shotgun with a hunting barrel on it.

In answer to your what's the difference question.
    If you put the longer barrel on the black shotgun you would still have the rather obvious tube extension under the barrel advertising the fact that it was a defense shotgun. Plus black on a shotgun pretty much always means defense gun.
    Last edited by dflanmod; 8/22/2011 12:05am at .

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    3) RE dflanmod: What's wrong with rolling up to a range with a black shotgun? Okay, I now see why if I pulled this out and said "I'd like to shoot some trap," that would be funny. But if I put a longer barrel on it, what's the problem?
    black guns normally equal "that guy". as long as it has a normal barrel and isn't tactifaged out, then you shouldn't get any flack for it.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 4:03am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Consider doubling your price and looking for a good one of these used.

Browning Citori

You're talking about shooting trap. Best to have a trap gun.

Recommend full and extra full barrels for a long shot string. If you get any good, you won't stay on the 16 yard line for long.

You don't want no stinking 20 gauge.
    First off, I posted a link to the same fucking gun on the first page. Second, you are not just doubling your price when you purchase that browning. Matter of fact that Citori you posted a picture of is a 3,000 dollar gun new. You sure as **** will not find one in any working order for under 700 bucks. Don't just re-post **** when you obviously don't know what the **** you are talking about. Lastly, name one thing wrong with a 20 gauge? Especially for somebody learning trap and skeet fundamentals.
    Last edited by SoulMechanic; 8/22/2011 4:12am at .

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 4:16am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    1)

And back to Walmart: Not happening. My friend the police officer has a brother who owns a gun shop, and there are pretty regular gun shows in the Portland area. I figure take my buddy along, find a good deal on a used one, find whatever barrel I need, and then get the basics for cleaning and whatnot.
    Go back to the range, talk to some people, ask questions, go to some gun shows with your LEO friends brother. Find something you like. IMO, if you want a home defense shotgun you are waiting your money. Any shotgun is a home defense gun if you really think about it. Do your homework and you will be fine. The whole zombie protection thing is not ever gonna become reality, don't worry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 8:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mossberg 500 with changeable barrels. 28" field barrell, 18.5" security barrell, 24" rifled slug barrell, .50 cal muzzleloader barrell...

Does practically everything...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 8:54am

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First time I went trapshooting I took a Valtro PM5. (Black, box magazine fed, pump action 12ga). No one at the range laughed at me; rather, they were helpful and informative, and I finished the day using a borrowed gun.
    x2 on a well maintained second hand shotgun. A properly cared for gun will outlive you and your children.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 9:46am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vashanka View Post
    First time I went trapshooting I took a Valtro PM5. (Black, box magazine fed, pump action 12ga). No one at the range laughed at me; rather, they were helpful and informative, and I finished the day using a borrowed gun.
    x2 on a well maintained second hand shotgun. A properly cared for gun will outlive you and your children.
    But would you keep going back to the trap range with the same shotgun?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2011 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulMechanic View Post
    First off, I posted a link to the same fucking gun on the first page. Second, you are not just doubling your price when you purchase that browning. Matter of fact that Citori you posted a picture of is a 3,000 dollar gun new. You sure as **** will not find one in any working order for under 700 bucks. Don't just re-post **** when you obviously don't know what the **** you are talking about. Lastly, name one thing wrong with a 20 gauge? Especially for somebody learning trap and skeet fundamentals.
    Didn't read your link.

Yeah, that particular Citori is probably around that price new. Should have picked a lesser model, but, I was in a hurry at that time and he doesn't know Citori models from Adam. I put the brand name. I admit. My bad.

I've owned three Citori's in my life, all bought used in good condition for $650-$750 apiece. Used to shoot trap on average twice a week. Given, that was nearly twenty years ago. I should have taken into account what a used gun may go for now. Again, my bad, but a used is well within reach if you look around.

I reloaded. Trap, silhouette, benchrest, three position and hunting.

20 gauge. Nothing wrong with a 20 for what it's good for. Yeah, you can shoot trap. I used to play with my .410 Thompson Contender handgun just for jollies. Why buy one gun for learning fundamentals and turn around and buy another for competition when it's obvious there's limited funds? Why shoot a reduced load when it's not necessary. When's the last time you saw an adult male shooting a 20 in competition?

My point was the OP wants to shoot trap. Best to have a trap gun if he's serious about the sport.

So, kindly kiss my ass.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast