Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 1:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is there a single all-around shotgun?

I finally got out to a local shotgun range today and shot a couple rounds of trap with the loaners they had there, both pump and semi-auto Benellis. But damn, these guns were LONG. Way longer than the police model 870 a state trooper friend showed me when he was recommending a model to buy. One of the guys at the range today said he didn't think a shotgun with an 18.5" barrel would work for trap at all. That's a pity, because I saw pictures of the Mossberg 590A1 and the Remington 870 Tactical, and they look super duper cool. But they have 18.5" barrels.

What to buy then? Can I really not shoot trap with a shorter shotgun? What about skeet? Am I going to have to resign myself to the fact that a home defense shotgun just won't do the things a hunting shotgun will do, or is there a possibility of getting something that is good all-around?

FYI, firearm newbie here. I've never owned one, which is why I felt like posting a question here to solicit advice.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 2:02am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for a full length barrel. The Mossberg 500 series and the Remington 870 are good starting points, but the shorter barrel will lead to larger pellet dispersal which means at long ranges you stand a good chance of missing your target. If you want spiffiness in your first shotgun get one that can feed magnum cartridges.

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 3:59am

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, if you want to shoot trap and skeet and eventually become a fouler. Go with a break away over under. I have a 12,16 and a 20. My 20 is my favorite. Only thing it is not as good at as far as hunting purposes is when I go duck hunting. The shotguns the police use are for a completely different purpose then a gun used for trap,skeet and sporting clays. My personal opinion would be to get yourself a 20 gauge, a few sets of chokes and if you really get into it to the point where you want to go dove,pheasant,quayle and duck hunting I suggest getting re usable shell casings and investing in a re-loader. I pack my own shells. I go a different pellet to power ratio depending on what I am shooting or what type of animal I am shooting. As for the whole semi auto bullshit, well it is just like I said fucking bullshit. If you cannot hit your bird in two shots you need more practice or to pick up another hobby. As far as trap and skeet go you only have the option of taking two shots. So whats the point? Want a short barrel home defense shot gun then go get one for just that sort of thing. Want to be a real man and actually learn the art of shooting moving targets then get yourself a break away over under. I laugh my ass off all day at these dipshits just going nuts popping off round after round trying to hit one fucking duck. 2 shots my brother its all you need. Trust me, the guns are nicer and you will feel a greater satisfaction when you sharpen your skill set and become an accomplished shooter. If interested I can make recommendations of what type of gun will suite your usage the best. Just let me know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 11:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really intend to go hunting with it. I mean, I would if the opportunity presented itself, but I don't think I know anyone who hunts and I would be at a loss as to what to do with a dead duck. Shooting trap was fun though, and I want to try skeet next time.

The cost of the shotguns I was looking at was pretty low. I could probably get away with $350 new. If I go for an over/under, and considering I DON'T need anything spiffy, about how much are we talking about?

Bassline to the Mainline

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:34pm

Style: JamBoxer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just checked in before going to work. You are not gonna get anything too great for shooting trap and skeet for 350. You must realize that you do not want a shotgun like your LEO friends use. Because the simple fact that a trap/skeet and sporting clays gun emulates the act of actually hunting foul. Thus having longer barrels. What you need is a good all around gun like a 20 gauge with a couple sets of choke tubes to deviate pattern spray for trap and for skeet. Please do not go down to Wall Mart and buy a fucking shotgun dude. You are going to regret it. I will send some links over to some guns when I get off of work bro. Your best bet may be to buy a used gun in good condition and get it tuned up by a gunsmith. You do not need a new gun, my favorite shotgun is actually a hand me down my father bought before I was even born. I will also recommend if you like the best products on the market to clean your newly acquired gun with when you get one. Think of treating your shotgun in the same fashion you treat your cock before and after a date. Clean it and keep it in well working order before you use it and always wash the grime off after you let it go boom a couple times. But to be honest 350 will likely not get you what you want in a new shotgun. You are talking a couple grand investment. I recomend Ruger and Browning over unders. Rugers generally run for around 3, Browning's for around 2 to mid 2 grand price range. So do some research, go to the shooting range or find a message board that is fouling and trap/skeet specific in topic and ask some questions. I would guess you could get an amazing over/under if you really look hard for about a grand. Treat the gun right and it will be passed down from generation to generation. My Pop has a couple really nice double barrel old ass side by side's he got from his dad. Just remember, pumps are for chumps.

Just called a friend who told me maybe a Stoeger might be more your speed. Double the price you want to pay but in his opinion still a solid gun for what you want to use it for. Here is a link
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir..._and_combo.php

And this right here is likely my next purchase. Cause I don't like my 12 all that much anymore. Oddly I shoot my hand guns with my right eye though.
    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...-hand-firearms
    Last edited by SoulMechanic; 8/21/2011 4:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 5:07pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go find a Remington 870 that has 2 barrels. They used to sell them at Wal-Mart and they came with a 26" and 20" barrel. Then you get a tube extension. It will give you the option for shooting trap, fowl, and personal protection. Barrel swappng is pretty easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 6:11pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Searcher. My first shotgun was a Winchester 1300 with a 22" shot barrel and a rifled slug barrel for deer hunting. You can get anything from 18 to 26 inches and a wide variety of chokes. No, it won't excel at any one type of shooting, but it's a good overall general purpose starter gun - very similar to the Rem 870 or the Mossberg.

Soulmechanic, you are obviously at an advanced level and very passionate about your sport, but watchman is nowhere near your level and shouldn't even be thinking about specialized guns or reloading right now. He just needs to get a starter gun and start to learn. Just like in MA, what percentage of people who start out actually get to an advanced level? Start with a good general purpose gun, but realize that you may very well outgrow it and want a more specific gun within the next couple of years.

I do agree with the idea of a .20ga though. You will learn good fundamentals a lot faster with a smaller gun with less recoil. The only reason you need to insist on a .12ga for the first gun you ever own is if you are insecure with your penis size. Even as a home defense gun, at the typical home defense distances (across a room or closer) a .20 will kill them just as dead.

And to tell you the truth, depending on where you live, construction and layout of your home, etc, I'd say a .20 is a more practical choice. A .12ga with 3" magnum 00 buckshot sounds real badass, but in an apartment complex or right outside the kids' bedroom it's a recipe for disaster when you're half asleep and running with adrenaline at 3am. Just something to think about. And one other thing - GET PROPER TRAINING FOR EACH TYPE OF SHOOTING YOU PLAN TO DO.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    searcher beat me to what i was going to say. get an 870. you can find a variety of barrel lengths easily, and if you can't change them yourself, then you don't need to own a gun.

the 870 is the best all around shotgun you will find.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 6:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know as much as the Americans, but the best gun I've ever shot was my mate's dad's Purdey Sporter 12 bore.

It was an absolute dream to shoot, in a sporting context.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go the Rem 870 route I would get the express model with the longer barrel. Then I would purchase the shorter barrel for defense purposes.

You will already look like a hack rolling up to the trap range with an 870 but I just don't know that I could show up with a black one and still keep a straight face. Hence the reason for suggesting the "express" model over the "security" model with a longer barrel.

As to your original question? No you won't be able to shoot trap/skeet with an 18" clyander bore. At least you won't score to well. That and the looks of derision are a little off putting.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast