228107 Bullies, 4693 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    holy **** just answer the dumb question. BJJ is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which is the generic name version of the brand name Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 5:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    holy **** just answer the dumb question. BJJ is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which is the generic name version of the brand name Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.
    Holy **** learn how to read.
    As for your rather trollish question, it is all BJJ. GJJ has it's own flavor, which can even vary from Gracie to Gracie as David Koresh jr pointed out.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 6:39pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:37am

Style: Jujitsu and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always assumed (based on a bit of research) that 'GJJ' was just when the Gracie's teach it, or when it's directly from them via another coach- I mean, the family invented BJJ right? Its called BJJ because they are brazilian, and it needed to be differentiated from just 'JJ (jujitsu lol) even though most of the principles are the same....?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:50am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
    I always assumed (based on a bit of research) that 'GJJ' was just when the Gracie's teach it, or when it's directly from them via another coach-
    No. Gracie Jiu-jitsu is a registered trademark owned by Rorion Gracie. There have been lawsuits filed between members of the Gracie family as Rorion has insisted that no one unaffiliated with his branch of the family (and the martial art) be allowed to call it Gracie Jiu-jitsu, even if that person happens to be named Gracie and teach jiu-jitsu. Or, as Yrkoon9 put it,
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9 View Post
    Okay, we all know that Rorion is a money-grubbing loser who bamboozle the rest of his family out of the market with his trademark.
    Read his post for more thoughts on why they differ. Which you might have done anyway, since I linked to it in the post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
    II mean, the family invented BJJ right? Its called BJJ because they are brazilian, and it needed to be differentiated from just 'JJ (jujitsu lol) even though most of the principles are the same....?
    Well, certainly most of the Brazilean lineages of jiu-jitsu stem from the Gracie family via Gastao’s children (though not quite all), so they may have been said to have “invented” it, though I don’t personally regard BJJ has having been invented so much as it evolved from judo being practiced with a different focus and mindset (not quite the same way as judo was deliberately synthesised by variously collecting and discarding waza from various ryu of traditional jujutsu, and then evolved along with its competitive ruleset).

Given the wide range of things that get taught under the banner of (Japanese) jujutsu, given the tendency of many (not all) such styles to rely on kata and mostly ‘dead’ training, given the lack of emphasis on newaza in most Japanese jujutsu styles—and given (on the other hand) the heavy focus on groundwork and alive training, and the lack of any sort of kata, in all the branches of BJJ, I think it’s debatable whether it’s very meaningful to say that “most of the principles are the same”. Of course there’s a lineage of transmission (via judo, which BJJ does remain similar to), but I question whether saying “Japanese jujutsu shares most of the principles of BJJ” conveys anything meaningful, even if you are able to produce a few sample situations where it’s true.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, since Maeda taught people outside the Gracie family, and those people have their own lineages and academies in Brazil, I'd say GJJ is just a subset of BJJ. And anyway it was all just "zhoo-zhitsoo" before Roion came to America.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. It depends on the Gracie, not all those brothers and cousins are the same.

Really though results matter. Are the students winning gi and nogi tournaments? Are they fighting mma? Etc

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. It depends on the Gracie, not all those brothers and cousins are the same.

Really though results matter. Are the students winning gi and nogi tournaments? Are they fighting mma? Etc
    Joyce DeWitt has a legit lineage

Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12