Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 6:07am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies again, im gunna have to start up some sort of pay pal into judoka uk and BKR's bank accounts soon for all the time and advice you keep supplying.

Ive been shown the chicken wing turnover once but it was done with uke on his knees and with a strangle aswell. I got bogged down in the whole tying up and used to lose control of the arm then we never drilled it again. But with inspection of the videos ive realised where i was going wrong, im assuming when you pull the arm up you need to clamp it to your chest so he cant pull it free. Ill practise it some more and add the flattening out parts aswell it looks like a good turn over.

Ive been shown and drilled the "double arm roll" aswell but i always got rolled all the way over because i was attacking the head and chest where as in the video you can clearly see tori driving his left shoulder towards the hips an landing in a good position. Ill give that one some more practise aswell.

When you say to learn 2-3 turn overs do you mean 2-3 different attacking the same side or 2-3 attacking from all angles.

for example the chicken wing to attack from behind then shoulder roll from the side and sankaku from the front.

What other good attacks are there for attacking uke from the front? I know one where you grab uke by the collar and belt the sit ur leg down on top of his head then roll him over your leg so he does a forward rolling motion onto his back but i always seen to lose controll, uke just continues to roll out of it. I think i just need to do more drills to sharpen up my reaction times, i have the same problem in tachiwaza and newaza that i over think things instead of just reacting.

Thanks again.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 8:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    I got bogged down in the whole tying up and used to lose control of the arm then we never drilled it again. But with inspection of the videos ive realised where i was going wrong, im assuming when you pull the arm up you need to clamp it to your chest so he cant pull it free.
    The key to the tie off, both in that situation and when doing it for sangaku is folding the back of the hand over uke's wrist to keep it in place.

Ill practise it some more and add the flattening out parts aswell it looks like a good turn over.
    Yeh its basically my go to method. I have a sequence where I flatten them out and then either:
    -Turn into the hold like in the video.
    -Drive the knuckles through to get the lapel and Koshi jime.
    -Do the 'diamond roll' into Juji.
    - A variation of the Traineau roll into Juji.

Often one of the those attacks will create an opening for another.

When you say to learn 2-3 turn overs do you mean 2-3 different attacking the same side or 2-3 attacking from all angles.
    Being able to attack from all points of the compass is obviously fantastic, but unnecessary.

It takes mere fractions of a second to move around uke. Winnie starts at uke's head and gets to the back, gets the catch and inserts the leg in no time at all.

I only have 4 attacks
    -That ankle and forearm grab which I do if I'm on uke's right
    - The classic okuri eri jime/jigoku jime/ kata te jime roll if I'm on uke's right
    - Traineau Juji roll if I'm on uke's left
    - Basic hooks in and roll

What other good attacks are there for attacking uke from the front? I know one where you grab uke by the collar and belt the sit ur leg down on top of his head then roll him over your leg so he does a forward rolling motion onto his back but i always seen to lose controll, uke just continues to roll out of it.
    Catch them with your knees

Its not guaranteed but its the best method out there.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 9:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judoka_UK covered that one very well, as usual. I'm glad you noticed the key part of correctly doing the double arm roll-how he angled himself correctly to make sure it's not one of those awful pull on their head/upper body turnovers as previously discussed.

To reiterate what judoka_uk posted, for my sankaku roll, I somehow majically appear in the correct position no matter how uke lands. That is the result of drilling ad nauseum up to the point of full resistance from uke landing in random positions after various throws/attempts.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 7:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this video of an attack from the front, I think its great.

So you grip uke's belt with your left hand, palm down.

Then insert your right arm through and underneath uke's armpit, from the head end.

Cup uke's shoulder firmly and then...

RAAAH!

FUCKING HULK SMASH!

Lol, fantastic.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I found this video of an attack from the front, I think its great.

So you grip uke's belt with your left hand, palm down.

Then insert your right arm through and underneath uke's armpit, from the head end.

Cup uke's shoulder firmly and then...

RAAAH!

FUCKING HULK SMASH!

Lol, fantastic.
    I've got one like that from behind. It's entirely crude, rude, and socially unacceptable to do. If uke has dead toes while turtled, it may even injure him. It's a kind of turtle turnover ippon.

I did it at one club to a guy who refused to engage in ne waza other than to turtle, and was told never to do it again by the coach.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12