Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave View Post
    Not really, doesn't provide you with the sort of control you need to pin someone. Side control positions are far more common and far more useful in wrestling..
    Cool that makes sense. You did seem to be dominating from side.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job getting your butt to a competition! Losing at low level competition is invaluable experience for the bigger competitions later on down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 12:22pm

Style: MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Tell me, what is the throw you pulled of early called in freestyle/folkstyle/Greco Roman Wrestling?
    It's the Head and Arm Throw. It's just your basic hip throw, but gripping around the head and an arm. I find it an easier grip to get than around the waist from a wrestling tie-up. It also sets you up with a better control position once you hit the ground.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave View Post
    It's the Head and Arm Throw. It's just your basic hip throw, but gripping around the head and an arm. I find it an easier grip to get than around the waist from a wrestling tie-up. It also sets you up with a better control position once you hit the ground.
    Than an underhook? False, see how he took your back. I'd use that head and arm throw then immediately look to get and underhook or move to n/s. Although I'd agree it's harder to get the throw with the underhook.

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 1:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done for competing and for being brave enough to post footage of you not winning.

I thought your Koshi guruma/ head and arm hip throw was alright, especially seeing as you landed in Kesa and then managed to avoid having your back taken and instantaneously dieing, which is apparently what happens whenever you throw someone and land in Kesa gatame.

General the same people who talk about worrying about 'giving up your back' when you turn in and throw someone to the front.

All I have to say that, is this:

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 1:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I thought your Koshi guruma/ head and arm hip throw was alright, especially seeing as you landed in Kesa and then managed to avoid having your back taken and instantaneously dieing, which is apparently what happens whenever you throw someone and land in Kesa gatame.
    He did, eventually, have his back taken, however. It would have been a lot sooner if his opponent had been better.

Look to throw off under and over-hooks for submission wrestling. Nice work for such little training otherwise, you should take your time and stabilise position a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    General the same people who talk about worrying about 'giving up your back' when you turn in and throw someone to the front.

All I have to say that, is this:

Right, that's a whizzer. That's the kind of grip you use to not get your back taken when you turn in for a forward throw...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For three months training that was really good! Don't be so tough on yourself man, and since you have it on tape you can study it, find your mistakes, and adjust accordingly. I have my girlfriend tape me almost every time i spar or roll so i can study it later on.

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 2:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    He did, eventually, have his back taken, however. It would have been a lot sooner if his opponent had been better.

Look to throw off under and over-hooks for submission wrestling. Nice work for such little training otherwise, you should take your time and stabilise position a bit more.

Right, that's a whizzer. That's the kind of grip you use to not get your back taken when you turn in for a forward throw...
    A guy with 3 months of training managed to land in kesa and then almost get mount ending up in half guard. That he got his back taken later on had nothing to do with landing in Kesa, the kesa almost got turned into a mount.

My second point was different and address the ridiculous claim that if you turn away from your opponent to throw them you give up your back. Frank Mir turned away from his opponent to throw him and ended up in mount, our 3 month trainee did almost exactly that without the underhook.

The only reason you will get your back taken if you throw and land in kesa is:
    A: The person you're grappling with outskills you by a massive margin.
    B: You have no idea how to throw and land in a dominant position.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was holding the kesa position in half guard instead of an underhook when his back was taken, his opponent was working toward the back before that.

Nobody is saying the head and arm throw is bad or turning away from your opponent to throw them gives the back. It's easier to toss someone with head and arm version than the underhook version, but once you are on the ground it's harder to prevent someone from taking your back unless you have a whizzer, take mount, or pummel your own underhook in.

Head and arm throw good, hugging onto head and arm on ground not so good. I reject your premise that it requires a massive skill margin to get your back taken in kesa. You can't believe that kesa is better than whatever you call kesa with an underhook.

He did the right thing by transitioning to mount, he just wasn't as good at moving onto mount.

You still did a good job for your experience level, it's all good just keep training.
    Last edited by DKJr; 8/20/2011 2:37pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 8:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if judo guys love kesa so much, why don't they marry it?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast