Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Old(ish) Noob seeks advice??

Hello,

I am 41 years of age and, apart from a few months training in FMA, I am a martial arts virgin! I trained in Escrima for about 3 months last year but sort of "fell away" from training.

Now, a year later I've been on the Paleo diet for 2 months, I've been working on my strength and fitness and I want to give MA another go. I may go back to FMA but I am also considering other arts. I want to learn an art that I can handle (at my age) and which might help to save my ass if I was unlucky enough to need to call upon it. Some of the arts I'm considering are Aikido, Shaolin Kung Fu and Bunjinkan (Budo Taijutsu).

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on which art(s) would be more suited to the "older" beginner or if any of the arts I have mentioned definitely would not. I've posted about this on other MA forums and I've been less than impressed with the response. I just got this "age is no barrier to training" cliche. I also got loads of words of encouragment from martial arts practitioners who were much older than me, which is nice but the problem is that they all started when they were much younger than me.

Surely there are certain arts which would be more suitable for someone like me than others. I'd be particularly interested in hearing from other people who began "late".

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of the arts I'm considering are Aikido, Shaolin Kung Fu and Bunjinkan (Budo Taijutsu).
    You're trolling I'm guessing.

In the event you are not, forget your choices above.

Go give judo a try.

Style
    TKD BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a fitness perspective, there are enough out of shape "high level" practitioners doing each of the arts that you mention that you should stay away from them. In terms of giving you skills to "save your ass" none of them are particularly useful.

Judo is awesome, and I would also suggest Brazilian jiu jitsu from a qualified teacher. Both can be done at easy age, though you may find BJJ easier on the joints, and both are excellent for getting into and staying in shape and strength conditioning. Judo tends to be quite a bit cheaper, too.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    You're trolling I'm guessing.

In the event you are not, forget your choices above.

Go give judo a try.
    No I'm not a troll. I guess you must think that because I've mentioned Bunjikan. I've only discovered since I posted how reviled it is on this website. Aslo, I know very little about Martial Arts in general, which is why I am asking for advice.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What schools are available to you in a reasonable driving distance?

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malpaisian View Post
    No I'm not a troll. I guess you must think that because I've mentioned Bunjikan. I've only discovered since I posted how reviled it is on this website. Aslo, I know very little about Martial Arts in general, which is why I am asking for advice.
    I recommended judo since it is practiced in an alive manner, meaning against a resisting opponent. Your age is not an issue and as another has posted, it will help you get into shape.

Also recommended are boxing, bjj, muay thai, kyokushin karate, sambo (if you can find it) or kick boxing. Why these. Because they are all practiced against resisting opponents.

Welcome to the site.

Can you give us an idea of your area? If so, it will help narrow down the good places and weed out the not so good.

Style
    BJJ, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started BJJ when I was 40 & I'm 42 now. I am 5'11 & I was 225 at the time when I started. My last tourney I weighed in at 176 and I have never felt this young in years, if not the last decade.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Can you give us an idea of your area? If so, it will help narrow down the good places and weed out the not so good.
    I live in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.

Style
    Stabbing the Face.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talk to Prince Vlad when you get 25 posts, I think he's a fellow Irishman.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    What schools are available to you in a reasonable driving distance?
    Within driving/cycling distance I could do pretty much do anything. All forms of kung fu, FMA, Silat, Krav Maga, all forms of karate, BJJ, Judo, Aikido . The list goes on!
    Last edited by Malpaisian; 8/01/2011 3:49pm at .

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last