Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to Bullshido + Question about gym in Portand

Hi i'm looking for a place to train Muay Thai in Portland, OR. Has anyone heard of Portland Thai Boxing? I wana make sure it's not "Bullshido." I've been there to watch, and while I only watched one class, I only saw padded and relatively slowish free sparing. They do, however, compete, as far as I know.
    Oh and they're licensed by the Thai Boxing Association of the USA, if that counts for anything,.
    Last edited by Durand2511; 1/29/2007 5:15pm at .

KungFuBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums GeorgeBush... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this should be all you need:

http://www.straightblastgym.com/where.htm

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That does look pretty damn cool, but I'd kinda like to go to a good gym with an emphasis on Muay Thai, if at all possible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that place seems to be focused on BJJ, and according to the article, maybe a bit of savate.
    But I'd definitely not discount that place.
    Last edited by Durand2511; 1/29/2007 5:09pm at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how much pure Muay Thai they teach, but they train MMA fighters & kickboxers & have an excellent rep.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess I'll look into it, thanks.
    Anyone else here have any idea about a muay thai gym in Portland, OR, or close by?!

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBush
    Hi i'm looking for a place to train Muay Thai in Portland, OR. Has anyone heard of Portland Thai Boxing? I wana make sure it's not "Bullshido." I've been there to watch, and while I only watched one class, I only saw padded and relatively slowish free sparing. They do, however, compete, as far as I know.
    Oh and they're licensed by the Thai Boxing Association of the USA, if that counts for anything,.

I trained at Portland Thaiboxing And Martial Arts a while back and was skeptical at first like with all of the other gyms I tried. Because you never know who is legit. It was the only one I knew of that had a REAL CERTIFIED instructor which in the martial arts world definitely counts for something. From what i have read, the Thai Boxing Association is a huge muay thai Organization with a lot of history in the sport. Anyway, like any anxious new martial artist I wanted to get in there and bang during sparring and learned real fast as to why they go slow and do timing most of the time instead of real live sparring. I asked to go a little harder and I Got my A** torn out the frame. I couldnt train for the next two weeks because I was pretty banged up. Needless to say I learned my lesson. Once I can find a job to afford the tuition I'll definitely go back. From what I've seen around Portland/Vancouver, They have the best pad drills, curriculum and real muay thai form( my opinion) Ive seen. If you are looking for stand up skills they're the best(my Opinion). They also have great regular boxing over there. Rumor has it They are offering Grappling with Combat Submission Wrestling which is a bonus. I just need the money and i might see you there.

Hope this helped

good luck

when I can some up with the money i might see you there

Style
    Boxing; Sub. Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think George may have been run off when he showed his picture on here. Sad really.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBush
    I've trained at Portland Thai Boxing for two years now. The " relatively slowish free sparring" you were referring to is known as timing. The speed is toned down to better understand the fundamentals of sparring which allows you to learn how to attack/counter attack an advancing opponent as well as learning how to defend yourself in the given situation.

As for you,GeorgeBush, claiming you ONLY WATCHED ONE CLASS, if I'm not mistaken (based on the picture you posted in another thread) haven't you been attending class at Portland Thai Boxing for the last 2 months? Last time I saw you there was a little over a week ago (1/31/2007).

In regards to credibility, we are the Portland Branch for The Thai Boxing Association of the USA and have Pro MMA Fighters that train there such as UFC Veterans: Josh Haynes and Nate Quarry. We are also one of the few schools in the state that has a primary focus on Muay Thai.

GeorgeBush, please don't take this post negatively. This response was created to shed some light on this misconception. Hopefully, we'll see you back in class. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day and you still have a lot of room to grow as fighter and as a person.

Welterweight, Thanks for the kudos. Hope to see you back in class
    soon!

Everyone, please feel free to drop by the gym if you're in the area and check it out. You're more than welcome to spectate or participate. See you soon:)
    Last edited by inspirit; 2/10/2007 2:17am at .

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, I'm planning on heading up on Monday and signing up with this place, any of you guys still training there?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last