Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ & Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"rfccfs" / "rfcmma" / "hits" / "damafi-usa" ???

I was looking to train in sw Pennsylvania without having to drive to Pittsburgh. I'm checking out some schools around the Pittsburgh area, too, and they have legit sites, legit instructors (more than one), and legit programs. But someone told me to check out this place that just opened under a new name in a new building in Uniontown, PA. Sensei Jeff Hughes / Master Jeff Hughes / 3rd Dan Jeff Hughes. Too many titles on too many profiles and websites to even list, but that's his name.

I checked all around online and I can't find much of any info on this guy or his credentials or his experience. I did find that he's operating under all the names mentioned in the subject line (no specific business named on any business license I'm guessing). His "form" is called "Shin Ken Goshin Jutsu" and it's nowhere online except on his own websites. Anyone else ever hear of that? Because Google hasn't.

I'm about 10 miles from the dojo, so I drove by just to check out the training on his schedule for adults. Nobody was there.

Then I found out that an old friend of mine had a kid in the kids program at this place. Their kid got beaten up pretty bad doing full contact stand-up up against another kid who was twice the size. We're talking no padding, no safety precautions, full out 100% UFC style fighting with 10 and 12 year olds. The kid ended up having to go to the hospital, and this guy has now blacklisted that whole family because the kid's parents spoke out and said they didn't approve of their kid being a punching bag for someone with a 75 pound weight class difference. That's hear say I know, and I wanted to check it out for myself, but like I said - nobody there.

I did get to see the other club that runs out of that same dojo at a demonstration, and they seem legit for a traditional martial arts. But on this Jeff Hughes owner/ instructor/ sensei / 3rd Dan / Master / whatever he wants to call himself today, there's a whole lot of nothing for info on this guy's styles, programs, training, or anything. It looks like he got his belts from this damafiusa federation and he's a front man for opening the federation in the US. Some of his affiliations don't even have working website links anymore. Anything related to this damafi is all in the UK.

I'm asking - has anyone trained there or know anyone who trained there? Does Jeff Hughes really know any specific martial art well enough to teach it? Is it a legit MA training program? Something seems like bullshido with a guy who claims 3rd degree in his own self-created style of hybrid MA that doesn't even exist anywhere online. I know not everything is always online but come on. It's 2011. Just about everyone is online somewhere.

Here are the websites I found on his place:
    http://rfcdamafi.yolasite.com/

http://www.fightteam.net/MMA-SCHOOL/...hting-Concepts

Here's another address: http://www.superpages.com/bp/Unionto...0504797851.htm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Damafi...62712043794760

http://www.facebook.com/groups/120252474666693/ (where to see the class schedule)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...074440&sk=wall

http://www.dojo-reviews.com/usa/Penn...s-martial-arts

There's different phone numbers, different business names, three different addresses, different affiliations that I can't find info about anywhere.

Does anyone know is this guy legit or full of bullshido?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 11:47pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some searching and I ended upon a Bujinkan/BBT website.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2011 4:26am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After putting the various address into google this address, 1220 National Pike Rd
    Hopwood, PA 15445, lead me here: Professional Services Hopwood. Which doesn't seem to list any MA school for that address but i don't know when that was last updated.

And another one lead me to Ken Smells Tang soo do school that is listed in the first link of the op.

It could take all day following the link maze.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2011 4:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ken Smells MMA

This page mentions the affiliation with DAMAFI and more of what Jeff Hughes offers.

Seems like he's [Jeff Hughes] just a karate guy trying to cash in on an RBSD theme. Finding a lot of usual the red flag claims though: teaches LEO, Military, personal security etc...

To the OP: Unless you have a personal axe to grind with this guy, i'd just go look somewhere else for training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2011 11:10am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    checking out some schools around the Pittsburgh area, too, and they have legit sites, legit instructors (more than one), and legit programs. [/QUOTE]

Everything in Uniontown sucks. Everything.

Go to CGS in Greensburg. Depending on where you are, coming down to Morgantown may be closer. Either way, good schools, good guys, good training. no bullshit.

(I'd send this via PM, but he can't get PMs yet as a noob)

Posted On:
    8/17/2011 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea the Ken Smell Tang So Do seems legit, seems he's just running out of that building for the time being. Saw a post on a forum that he's looking for his own location by Jan 1. I'm pretty sure it was Ken Smell who did the community fair demo I saw, with kids and adults of all ages and even asked for audience participation on some basic forms.

I have to agree, looks like this Jeff Hughes is doing what you said, just cashing in on RBSD. Just wanted to make sure my BS meter wasn't broken when I couldn't find any real evidence that he has any background worth anything. I was hoping there would be a local place I could pick back up on training, Looks like I'll be driving the distance. lol

Posted On:
    8/17/2011 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post

Everything in Uniontown sucks. Everything.

Go to CGS in Greensburg. Depending on where you are, coming down to Morgantown may be closer. Either way, good schools, good guys, good training. no bullshit.
    Yea no kidding, Uniontown is rough, unless you want to learn dancing, there's about 20 dance schools here. hahaha I'm looking at Morgantown. Not sure if my car will make the winters but with the new toll road open it might not be so bad. A friend of a friend in Morgantown has a BJJ school, I'm hoping to check them out in the next couple weeks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2011 1:20pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, who has two thumbs and owns a BJJ school in morgantown?

This guys....um, me that is.... this is tricky on the internets.

Who is your friend of a friend? I probably know them.

Where you live? If you're that close to us, then you're close to Greensburg I imagine.

Email me anytime dfenz@live.com.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2011 2:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ wins again! You do know that Judo is cheap and widely... nevermind.