Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 4:22pm

Style: Karate, mostly.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

High-Percentage combinations for shortarses?

sup. currently don't have anyone to spar (anyone near oslo is welcome to pop by to kick my ass though ;) ), but i do have access to a heavy bag at the gym in which i lift, so might as well try to get some decent stuff going in my bagwork sessions (right now it's just a lot of jabs ,a lot of crosses, a lot of hooks, some 1-2's, jab cross hooks, low kicks, and whatever random **** i come up with on the spot). now, since i don't have a sparring partner, i can't figure out what really works besides the really basic stuff, so i figured i'd ask you guys what kind of stuff tends to land more often or is easier to pull off when sparring against people with much greater reach (i'm five feet tall, so for me that's pretty much 99% of the time). the idea is to see what of this can be done against a bag, and to then focus on it specifically during my bagwork sessions, as they're currently a little disorganized.

cheers! now off to watch some kenji midori vids...
    Last edited by Fish Of Doom; 8/16/2011 4:27pm at .

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 4:56pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try working the counter punch kick, you move to the left against a right cross and kick with your right leg to the ribs or leg. Against a jab you move to the right also with your right leg and kick the liver with the left leg. This should help against the reach. I would also work my front kick and then overhand punch. The guy will lower his guard to block the front kick, than while your leg descends you throw an over hand "superman punch". Watch, Mike Tyson's clips, the dude always fought against taller guys, great had movement..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 5:02pm

Style: Karate, mostly.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cheers! front kick to superman punch (actually just feinting the front kick) is something i've actually had success with in the past, so i'm definitely going to see if i can drill it on the bag. interesting fact about tyson fighting bigger people, too. off to youtube again :D

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 8:25pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a lot of success with a combo my coach calls the Tyson- jab, right body hook, right uppercut, left hook. Most people don't really expect two in a row from the same side, so it breaks their rhythm a little bit.

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 4:55pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to work the weave to get closer. Work on using uppers, too.

1-2 left hook

jab-jab- rt. straight-lft body

jab-rt- left upper-left hook

1-2 weave- hook

up-up-down-down B A start...
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2011 9:10am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also short around 5'4".

I would shadow box the following:

Parry the jab then counter with a low kick or something so the taller guys stop spamming jabs on your face.

Also, just a reminder for combinations that start with jabs as mentioned, your jabs need to move forward. People forget this thing.
    Just check his back legs and position when he's jabbing, he's basically moving forward:

Also, check the hook:

Try a low kick with your lead leg and then follow up with a cross, don't lean back too much.

So when you do it on a bag, you start from a spot where your jab can't reach the bag then do the jab on the youtube clip to get closer to the bag and hit it and then your next attack should also hit the bag.

Oh, don't forget to circle around the bag.