Posted On:
    1/13/2005 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spill your guts!

Quote Originally Posted by callmetrinity
    I can tell a few tales about dillamn seminars...many tales of those that I had attended....
    Tell all! NOW!!! All the horrid details!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 2:30pm

Style: Japanese Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to his seminar in Penn. outside of philly. He wanted to demonstate a technique on me because of my large size. I declined and he looked stunned and shocked. He thought I would readily voulunteer to let myself be knocked out without any resistence on my part. He he, I'm not as dumb as I look. He knocks all of those people out at his seminars and then puts them in his books as knockout victims. {photo, date and time of knockout and what technique he used.} He promotes himself as the only man alive who trained with both Muhummad Ali and Bruce Lee.

All in all it was a decent seminar and gave me new respect for kata's. Leon Jay was the evening instructor and he did basic Jujitsu. Nice change of pace. I was a Brown Belt at the time and I felt It was worth the money.

Like Bruce Lee said, take what you can use and discard the rest.

Bowing Out.

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 6:29pm

Style: slappy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Tell all! NOW!!! All the horrid details!
    Heheheh I know a few Dillmanites as there is Rykyu Kempo taught where I rent space to teach. My standing challenge is for any one of them to use thier pressure point knockouts against me while I'm trying to pound them into the ground.

So far, no takers. :laughing3

Mike

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 11:15pm

Style: Ryukyu Kempo-Toudi Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not all Ryukyu Kempo is associated with Dillman. Ryukyu Kempo originally was associated with the teachings of Seiyu Oyata. Dillman studied under some of his top students and attended a number of Oyata's seminars. He then used the name to gain notoriety. A reason why Oyata now refers to his art as Ryu Te and tradmarked the name so no one else can steal it. :new_cussi

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 11:35pm

Style: slappy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez
    Not all Ryukyu Kempo is associated with Dillman. Ryukyu Kempo originally was associated with the teachings of Seiyu Oyata. Dillman studied under some of his top students and attended a number of Oyata's seminars. He then used the name to gain notoriety. A reason why Oyata now refers to his art as Ryu Te and tradmarked the name so no one else can steal it. :new_cussi
    Yeah sorry, I heard that...
    I don't mean to bring shame on RyuKyu in general as I know next to nothing about it.

Mike

Posted On:
    11/28/2007 3:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jhee Do Kwon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dillman and others seninars....

I was introduced to Dillmans theories by a friend at work back in the mid 90z... Fascinating at first as I actually began to view Kata in a different manner. However, one major question I always had was how can ANYONE be so accurate in the heat of a REAL fight. Alas, I eventualy looked into Erle' stuf, along with wally jays.

To the point; my sambonim refered to martial arts as orchastrated street fighting the first time I met him. That anology has always stuck with me. In essence I gleaned knowledge from all the afor mentioned and fixated it into my "being" for it to be reflexive.

Seek and Ye shall recieve so, after having gone thru a popular phase I am convinced there was a lot of money made from un educated/under-trained practioners and proably still is being made. EVERTHING must be taken with a grain of salt is my personal paraphrase of Bruce Lee' tenets. And remember, he initialy wasn't recieved with open arms. PROABLY BECAUSE HE WAS TAKING MONEY AWAY FROM BAD INSTRUCTORS.....Those who have always been around and will continue. Yes, it's a lot of BS ( secret chi, locks, etc..) but one will see it for that then leave those be who make religion of false teaching !!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2007 5:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nice necro

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for not adding anything to the discussion AND necroing a thread from three years ago, asshat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 2:43pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a Dillman seminar around the same time the OP was written, and I can say it was quite similar to everything the OP experienced.

Also, my poor father waster about 100 bucks on a couple of leather bound pieces of crap being passed off as books.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2008 3:48am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I notice that both Dillman's wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dillman and his art's article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyusho-jitsu both only have links to websites supportive of him.

Does anyone know any good sources that can be linked to to supplement these articles to assure they're balanced?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast