Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a reason that the kendo stick is popular with the WWF/backyard wrestling crowd. They make a lot of noise and easily seen welts but do very little beyond superficial damage. At best (or worst) you'll break a finger and as the vid shows if you don't mind some pain you can just soak a smack or two and disarm your opponent and eat his delicious face. Imagine the anatomical horror an actual TRAINED fighter could've done if he was equally as bug **** insane as Mr Straight Jacket.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 8:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Ok so the argument fails because because the arguments are stupid. But you do not want to be seen as a MMA nutrider.

Where does MMA fall short on the streets in your opinion?

Didn't we have a thread here recently from a BJJ practioner, who got his ass kicked whilst coming home from a night of boozing and trying to get laid ? There were limitations and a naive mindset involved in this case. I believe he tried to go to the ground, where they commenced to use his head as a soccer ball.

There are limitations to all fighting methods. Get a Smith & Wesson .38 Bodyguard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 8:34pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    season to taste.
    ROFLOL, And the winner is!!!!!!!!

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 8:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most finishes in MMA are potentially lethal if there's no ref to stop you. This seems to be too much logical thought to apply to the argument from the "iz just fur sport" crowd.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 12:47am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    Why is it every time someone comes around here and goes on the tired rant about, concrete, weapons, multiple attackers, aids needles, lava, all being present in "REAL" situations and thus nullifying "MMA style" training, they always train themselves in something far less realistic and softer?

Assuming you on average train 2-3 days a week for 1.5hour sessions at a time, and you spend that time...

Doing Katas:Why? How is this productively preparing you for knife wielding thugs who want to rape your wife? You are dancing around a room, placing your hands and body into positions that are completely antithetical to how you'd place them in a real life situation.

Practicing Self Defense techniques compliantly or half speed at best: Why? Your opponent isn't going to stand there with his arm lunged out in front, while you politely twist his wrist, or execute a series of strikes to all of his 'vital areas' (nose/groin/throat/eyes). He's going to take a really hard swing at you, and in that split second you are either going to get hit or not get hit, and the fight will continue from there. Put on a mouthguard, a cup and hell even a facemask if you want to and man up. If you never increase the intensity to that of an MMA style sparring match, you will never come close to the intensity of that real "life or death" situation you are claiming to prepare for, and you will fail no matter how many wristlocks and nipple twists you pretend to do in class.

Hitting BOB (Body Opponent Bag) dummies: I've always hated these things. They aren't sturdy enough like a heavy bag to do a real workout on them, and they are missing limbs unlike throwing dummies meaning they don't simulate a human being well enough. They are pretty much useless all around outside of looking kind of cool in your gym. You stand there for 20minutes pretending to hit a rubber dummy in the face and ribs. You've actually found a bigger way to waste your training time than pretending to hit a real person.
    1. Really? The Kata argument again?
    2. Because you've got to train reflex somehow (kinda the same way you work a new submission entry slowly and then speed it up.)
    3. Oh no, I'm right there with you on the BOB thing.

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 2:07am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a very personal dislike of Kata ... but that's where I'll leave it. The reasons I dislike it and don't find it helpful at all, are my own reasons.

I'm still open to the idea that they can be useful, but I can tell you now I personally don't find any worth in my fighting ability from it.

I think one of THE most important things when learning to fight ... is fitness.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 2:55am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This is another dead horse.
    Like I said......

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 4:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    1. Really? The Kata argument again?
    2. Because you've got to train reflex somehow (kinda the same way you work a new submission entry slowly and then speed it up.)
    3. Oh no, I'm right there with you on the BOB thing.
    1) Yeah, it'll never die :)

2) I was figuring someone would call me out along these lines. My point was less directed at those who are spending their time drilling, and more to those who spend their time LARPing out fantastical yet "deadly" moves and call it drilling despite the intensity never getting beyond that of an anemic who hasn't eaten for days.

3) lol
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123