--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What can I learn in a year of MMA?

Hey. So i'm going away for a year and have found a MMA club that looks pretty good which train 3 times a week. I've been doing kung fu for about a year now and feel like i've got a decent striking foundation and can deal with the pressure in hard contact sparring fairly well.

My question is what sort of level do you guys reckon someone could get to if they did some MMA training 3 times a week for a year if they had already done a year of kung fu as mentioned above? Would they be able to compete in amateur competitions before the year is out? Will they be able to beat up noobs with ease?

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know some guys who trained for three months and then fought and won a MMA. Wasn't three times a week though.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much was he training? 6 days a week?

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pretty much. Still doable though.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3x a week for a year of good MMA training will allow you to compete at the ammy level and not totally embarrass yourself. You might win against some other scrub, you might not. You should be able to easily handle most noobs who are no more than 30lbs heavier than you are until they've got a couple of months of training and no not to do stupid things.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    Submission Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your Kung Fu background? If you've trained SanDa or san shou the transition to MMA striking will be simpler than if you did, say, Bagua.

Train as much as possible, as you will necessarily be splitting your time between the standing and grappling ranges.

The short, over-simple answer to your question is that you can learn about as much as you would in 5 or 6 months of no-gi BJJ and Muaythai.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys are gonna love this. My kung fu background is quite a mix. Started off as a lot of shaolin stuff but my teacher is also a student of garry mckenzie the wing chun guy, so we do a lot of wing chun. We do a lot of padwork and hard sparring so i like to think that sets me apart from the majority of wing chun people.

Any exercises I could be incorporating in my training at home in order to prepare myself for MMA training? I like to train about 30 mins on the days I don't have class, doing mainly heavy bag work, shadow boxing and a mix of kettlebells and bodyweights. Once or twice a week i'll throw in 30 minutes or so of stretching as well.

Style
    Muay Thai & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the risk of starting a **** storm, I trained about 5 months in MMA, lost my first smoker to another MMA guy, won my 2nd one. I trained MMA 3 months for the first, and 2 months for the second.

MMA training imho is the most effective vehicle to get you ready to fight. Tailor it to your specs, as in if you want more ground, train BJJ more, standup, Muay Thai, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".