Sponsored Links Spacer Image

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For completeness' sake, here are screenshots from Gracie University should the Handrich's remove their profiles. Of note is the listing of "Judo" in their styles which should be easy to verify via the big 3 Judo organizations. I would assume that the elder Handrich will have competed, even if he isn't a Judo black belt, ESPECIALLY if he is teaching Judo in any capacity.

Click to enlarge:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 9:29pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry
    Last edited by Sorekara; 11/07/2011 9:31pm at . Reason: I'm retarded

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the major red flags in BJJ that are being investigated by others in this thread, theres a point of contention on this guys website concerning Muay Thai.

It seems to me that many times a small gym owner tries to start an MMA or Pankration school, and in an attempt to "round out" their classes and/or level of personal badassery they always list Muay Thai "kickboxing" under the curriculum, and then seem to offer american freestyle kickboxing instead.

Muay Thai and AFK are worlds apart in terms of sportfighting, namely in regards to elbows, the plum, leg kicking, plowing, catches, throws and trips. I would bet some serious silver that this school teaches AKF or a TKD derivative of standup and passes it off as Muay Thai. I'll see if I can dig up any videos to critique or support my statements, but as of now it just tickles the crap out of my bullshit meter.

I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious here and most people can come to the same conclusion. Probably just a guy with a TKD or Karate belt trying to pad the ol' resume.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 4:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miraclemty View Post
    Aside from the major red flags in BJJ that are being investigated by others in this thread, theres a point of contention on this guys website concerning Muay Thai.

It seems to me that many times a small gym owner tries to start an MMA or Pankration school, and in an attempt to "round out" their classes and/or level of personal badassery they always list Muay Thai "kickboxing" under the curriculum, and then seem to offer american freestyle kickboxing instead.

Muay Thai and AFK are worlds apart in terms of sportfighting, namely in regards to elbows, the plum, leg kicking, plowing, catches, throws and trips. I would bet some serious silver that this school teaches AKF or a TKD derivative of standup and passes it off as Muay Thai. I'll see if I can dig up any videos to critique or support my statements, but as of now it just tickles the crap out of my bullshit meter.

I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious here and most people can come to the same conclusion. Probably just a guy with a TKD or Karate belt trying to pad the ol' resume.
    I've seen similar things mentioned on reputable schools. Does it matter if it's exactly what they say it is if there's no ranks given? For example, some BJJ schools say that they use Judo techniques and refer to throwing practice. They don't actually have a Judo instructor, and you get no rank in Judo. I actually don't have a problem with this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 5:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It matters because it affects the learning of the student. If you're going to pass off a system that is fundamentally different than Muay Thai as Muay Thai, and its the dominant system of striking in your MMA school, then you need to have a Muay Thai instructor and teach actual Muay Thai.

Theres nothing wrong with AKF or kickboxing, its a great sport system. But what they are allegedly doing is padding the curriculum with a more recognized, legit-sounding ringsport but then not actually teaching it.

What if one of their fighters decides after a couple years to branch off and start his/her own school, and then teaches the "Muay Thai" that they learned at house of pain as legitimate MT?
    That hurts the credibility of Muay Thai and of any student product of that school.

Muay Thai and AKF are not the same system, they are massively different and lead to very different fights. Why not just say "Hey, we teach kickboxing as our stand up"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miraclemty View Post
    It matters because it affects the learning of the student. If you're going to pass off a system that is fundamentally different than Muay Thai as Muay Thai, and its the dominant system of striking in your MMA school, then you need to have a Muay Thai instructor and teach actual Muay Thai.

Theres nothing wrong with AKF or kickboxing, its a great sport system. But what they are allegedly doing is padding the curriculum with a more recognized, legit-sounding ringsport but then not actually teaching it.

What if one of their fighters decides after a couple years to branch off and start his/her own school, and then teaches the "Muay Thai" that they learned at house of pain as legitimate MT?
    That hurts the credibility of Muay Thai and of any student product of that school.

Muay Thai and AKF are not the same system, they are massively different and lead to very different fights. Why not just say "Hey, we teach kickboxing as our stand up"?
    Good point. It's a shame people don't do more research into what they're training in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 4:49pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer212 View Post
    Actually his name is Alrey Handrich. Him and his son both are black belts. They earned them in Sarasota, fl. Seen pictures to prove it. They were working out of the local gym here, which is ran by idiots. Pretty sure it was the gym and NOT actual house of pain that you talked to (it was their number on the website). At that time they has a small room, so yeah maybe it was the owner of the gym who didn't want anymore students.
    the gym screwed them over so they moved up town into an independent building. Its under construction and I don't think they have a phone yet. Bigger space so more people. Next time youre in town check it out Im sure they would love to roll with you. By the way they are making a name for themselves, most of VALHALLA'S warriors are undefeated in amiture cage fights ;)
    Yeah, if they're legit black belts who gave them their belts? It should be a easily answerable and verifiable question. If I'm in town I'll gladly go and roll with them, I get up there about once a year. Rolling with someone isn't a scary prospect, I roll with legit brown and black belts (World class) quite often. And like McClaw said, being undefeated in Michigan amature MMA isn't really proof of solid technique. Although I respect their courage to get into the cage, we get lots of "Undefeated MMA" fighters in our gym who's ego can't handle getting tapped.

Posted On:
    11/28/2011 10:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So here is a little insight into Handrich. He did train at a facility in Florida. He never earned a belt there, you can call House of Pain it is located outside Sarasota, Florida. I was told by a reliable source that called the gym in Florida and confirmed that Alrey went into business with his teacher and walked away with the money and left his teacher hanging. This is exactly what he did to the place he was renting in Mio.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mio info View Post
    So here is a little insight into Handrich. He did train at a facility in Florida. He never earned a belt there, you can call House of Pain it is located outside Sarasota, Florida. I was told by a reliable source that called the gym in Florida and confirmed that Alrey went into business with his teacher and walked away with the money and left his teacher hanging. This is exactly what he did to the place he was renting in Mio.

This sounds good! Im thinking this guy is the gym owner? He obviously knows Handrich and has a dislike for the dude.

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 12:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Alrey in Sarasota for years. He earned a second degree brown belt under Professor Charles Dos Anjos. Charles is one of the most reputable BJJ teachers in the state of Florida. His information can be found at wolfpackbjj.com. Alrey did have his rank revoked, but not for lack of ability. He trained long enough to get his black belt, but was never awarded it due to differences with his instructor. He has trained in martial arts nonstop his whole life. Over all, he knows more about martial arts than anyone I have ever known. He has a solid game in every facet of fighting.

Raven does not have a black belt in BJJ. He did train under Charles as well, but was too young to advance beyond blue, (I think). Raven has incredible stand up, ground and Judo. He has trained nonstop his entire life.

Alrey definitely has his downfalls, but never doubt his knowledge. He is obsessed with martial arts and has dedicated his life to it. You will hear people say a lot of bad things about him, but anyone who says he doesn't know martial arts is a liar.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast