Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 6:41pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice for half guard

So today we were practicing no gi rounds for an upcoming NAGA event. I apparently iritated one of the higher ranked indivduals, and was admonsihed for grinding on him, which I felt pretty stupid about. So Im looking for some advice cause I just forgot to plain ask what the right thing to do was cause I felt like a wad. Here was the situation.

We clinched up and he went to pull guard. I actually managed to land in his half guard on his right side. I also managed to move his arm into what I thought at the time was arm/triangle choke position and dropped my head down to his tri-cep. I couldn't see how he was exactly positioned but apparently I only had his arm across his face not his neck in the proper position. I knew I could NOT finish the choke from the half guard position, so I was really focused on passing his half guard and either moving to mount or side control to finish the choke. (This is apparently when the cranking was happening beause I must have been reefing down on his face.) he is a much higher level than me and I was really just focused on keeping the head/arm controlled to not allow him to disengage his arm from the choke figuring I'd never get it back there and it would be a lost oppurtuntity, and was just trying to complete the pass, and get out of his half guard. My quesiton is what would you suggest I should have done first.

Re adjust the arm to the correct arm triangle choke position and then work the guard pass?

loosen up on the hold? make the guard pass then work back to regain the choke?

Or abandon the choke and work the pass and just settle into position and just figure out a new attack from side control?

It's really important for me to be a respectful and considerate training partner and I felt super stupid for committing what was apparently a douche move.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 7:29pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No need to change anything as long as you were not deliberately trying a neck crank. As long as he was just uncomfortable then there is no reason to change. This is just part of doing nogi since you do not have the handles of the gi then there will be some discomfort when trying to control them to pass. If it hurt he should have tapped.

Do not let others egos get in the way of your training. As long as you are not disrespectful and intentionally trying to hurt someone with bad techniques you will be fine.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 8:05pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a big newb is neck cranking me I just tap and tell them it was a crank not a choke so they can work on their arm positioning.

As far as what do there I'd hold that arm triangle tight but not try to apply it until I was free of the half guard.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    8/14/2011 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to disagree here, not because I think you're wrong technically but I think you're wrong in giving him the benefit of the doubt. Reading between the lines, it sounds like our OP was holding on for dear life and squeezing the head like a lonely otaku with his lolicon hug pillow. That is obnoxious and noone learns anything from it.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 4:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    I'm going to disagree here, not because I think you're wrong technically but I think you're wrong in giving him the benefit of the doubt. Reading between the lines, it sounds like our OP was holding on for dear life and squeezing the head like a lonely otaku with his lolicon hug pillow. That is obnoxious and noone learns anything from it.
    If his partner really is a much better grappler then he should be able to do something other than whine about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 10:10am

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well at the time I didn't think I was sqeezing for dear life thats for sure. I try to relax and breath thru a roll. Im also only 160 and he's probably around 185. I think the issue is sometimes I don't view my self as a strong guy. However Im constantly told by the guys I roll with that range around the 190 area how strong I apparently am. So often times in my head I think Im only applying the pressure needed but in fact may actually be squeezing a lot tighter than nessacary a technique. I felt pretty dumb that I didn't maybe address the arm to the absolute correct position, before the pass. I honestly don't know even if I had completed the pass if I would have realized it wasn't in correct, because I had my head buried and facing away. (Im obviously still working on the "feel" of moves.

I really respect the guy alot and normally would have probably just said ok what did I do wrong there...but he kind of caught me off guard. So in order to not make the same mistake again either on him or another training partner I figured I'd get some advice.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/15/2011 10:48am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is exactly the reason that I keep a running commentary going when someone has a submission in class that isn't QUITE right, but is secure enough that if they had it just slightly different I would have to tap. That way I can talk them through getting it adjusted without having to get my face smushed.
    Or I'll tap, explain what was going wrong, and then let them set it up again. Your partner had a little too much ego involved.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 1:15am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    I really respect the guy alot and normally would have probably just said ok what did I do wrong there...but he kind of caught me off guard. So in order to not make the same mistake again either on him or another training partner I figured I'd get some advice.
    I tell people "Count to 5. If they haven't tapped or you haven't progressed your position, let it go."

There is always something to be said about working minutiae in the moment, but also realize that you are wasting precious mat time that could be better used with bigger concepts (transitions/recovery out of failed submissions or passes being the big one).

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 4:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    I tell people "Count to 5. If they haven't tapped or you haven't progressed your position, let it go."
    You need to hold a sunk blood choke for longer than a five count to put people out, a lot of the time...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2011 7:36am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ during training there is absolutely no need to put anyone out, unless they're actually starting violence.

OP > The guy was bitching. If he doesn't like it, he can tap. If he's a real teammate, he'll tell you what you did wrong and help you out. Not bitch about it. Tapping is learning. He should learn to not get fucking caught like that.

(BUT As it is close to a tournment, don't fucking neck crank people either, they want to compete as close to 100% as they can.)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast