Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 5:38am

Style: MACP Level 1 +1 Mana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MACP Clinch Drill: Brain no feel normal now.

So, today I finished up(and am now certified in) Level 1 Modern Army Combatives(MACP)....and the one thing that will forever stick with me from this 5 day training course...is the dreaded clinch drill. For those who are not familiar with the clinch drill(or MACP), its where you must achieve a specific clinch(back clinch, front clinch, wall clinch, or modified "seat belt" clinch) on an opponent who is punching you, full force...haymakers and all.

There are four iterations, from four different starting positions. The first, you have one underhook in..pretty easy. The second, you are in the "frame" position(where you have your forearm up against the top of their chest). The third, you are in the "post" position(hand is on the chest, thumb down, arm extended, but not locked out). And the fourth position is in projectile range(self explanatory I hope).

Well, I did fairly well with iteration 1,2, and 4....the third one....took me 3 tries to get. They decided for the third iteration that they'd put me up against a very large(i.e. arms the size of my thighs) and obviously trained boxer. Unlike the other "punchers" who were throwing wild hooks and uppercuts...this giant of an individual was throwing almost only straight punches...clean, powerful, straight punches. Anyways, my first try the instructor asked "Are you ready?", I reluctantly reply "...yeahh". He says "go" and not even a step taken and I'm beamed with a pretty heavy right cross to the jaw. Stuns me, heads a bit achy, but I go back to the position I started in. Second try, same story. I hear "go" I get beamed with a slightly HEAVIER right cross...and at this point I'm wondering how the hell did I get hit by a 2 ton vehicle in the Combatives room? Finally, the third try, I think the giant decided to tone down the power...'cause by the grace of Darwin, I was able to get a back clinch on him.

So, in summation, clinch drill....not fun...not fun at all...but I do understand WHY its done...basically so you can feel what its like to get punched in the face and not freak out. Would I do it again? Probably...because I understand the value of this type of training. Any U.S. Army folks on here have any stories of their own regarding the clinch drill..or MACP in general?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 5:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you allowed to shoot in any of these drills, or do you have to do it purely upper body?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 6:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Purely upper body.

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 6:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do that drill often! I've done similar drills before and eventually no matter how good the guy is, you will be able to achieve the clench. Congrats on finishing level 1!! On to the next level!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 7:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, as soon as the next Level 2 course is available, I'm gonna have my NCO sign me up. Over all it was fun...got called a cheater by the instructor, though, lol. It was during the drill where you have to enter into the room, then a guy in one of those high impact suits comes at you trying to wrestle you down and take your (fake)M4....then you have to rely on your side arm/weapon(in this case a plastic knife) to subdue the attacker. Well, after seeing loads of people getting taken down before they drew their knife, when it came to my turn...I didn't even give him the chance to rush me...I just pulled the "knife" out and started stabbing him when he came near til the instructors said stop...that's when he looked at me with a smile and said "Cheater".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 7:46am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SARS_Attacks View Post
    ...I just pulled the "knife" out and started stabbing him when he came near til the instructors said stop...that's when he looked at me with a smile and said "Cheater".
    As the SF guys say, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 8:27am

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't even give him the chance to rush me...I just pulled the "knife" out and started stabbing him when he came near til the instructors said stop...that's when he looked at me with a smile and said "Cheater".
    Sounds like a compliment to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose so. Shoot, I figured since the end result was for me to stab him...might as well cut the other stuff out of the equation and just go for the stab.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 5:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing about the MACP course....it REALLY made me miss the jits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 5:38am

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Purely upper body.
    Thats not actually true.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast