Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mma gyms in Ottawa

Hi all, I'm moving to Ottawa at the end of august and looking for a decent place to train grappling, I have been an amateur wrestler for 9 years and am looking to transition into BJJ, if you could direct me in the right way, that'd be cool! Thanks!

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whereabouts in Ottawa? Westboro you have Ronin (awesome gym),FIT MMA and OAMA. in the east end you have Team Bushido. N1 Thai Kickboxing is on Preston (10th planet no-gi) . There's also MMAFA (just started offering gi BJJ with Denis Kang!) out in Kanata.

Ive trained at them all and found Ronin to be the best, There's blackbelts, browns and purples there, the teacher for beginners just got his purple and is a very good teacher. Really friendly atmosphere and lots of successful competitors there.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
    Whereabouts in Ottawa? Westboro you have Ronin (awesome gym),FIT MMA and OAMA. in the east end you have Team Bushido. N1 Thai Kickboxing is on Preston (10th planet no-gi) . There's also MMAFA (just started offering gi BJJ with Denis Kang!) out in Kanata.

Ive trained at them all and found Ronin to be the best, There's blackbelts, browns and purples there, the teacher for beginners just got his purple and is a very good teacher. Really friendly atmosphere and lots of successful competitors there.
    thank you, much appreciated. i'm moving into the Nepean area

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is BJJ at Therien Jiu Jitsu in Vanier, which is taught by Ronin instructors. OAMA and Ronin on Carling Ave would be closer to Nepean.

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem buddy, you could try both. I will probably see you at Ronin though.

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your in Nepean Ronin and Ottawa Academy of Martial Arts (OAMA) are your best bets and great. I would lean more towards OAMA. The owner is Pat Cooligan a Renzo Gracie blackbelt and Ottawa's only UFC fighter came out of there, Mark Holst, who is an amazing kickboxer and teaches there. Plus they bring up alot of geust instructors. Jean Charles Skarbowsky (GSP's muay thai coach, he was a guest coach on Ultimate Fighter) was just there teaching for a couple weeks. Plus Roger Gracie is there a bunch of times out of the year.
    Last edited by xstyle; 7/26/2011 12:42pm at .

Style
    Boxing, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any thoughts on FIT MMA? Craig Brown has been fairly successful as an MMA fighter, and Igor Yakimov drops in once in awhile to teach a sambo class. From what I understand, they have no contracts either, unlike some of the other schools around the area.

And damn! I didn't know Dennis Kang was living in Ottawa, teaching BJJ. When did this happen?

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dennis Kang is not living in Ottawa. I think he's based in Montreal and just comes once a week to teach at the Mixed Martial Arts and Fitness Academy (run by Stephane D'amour, an ex-FangShenDoer).

FIT MMA has a really good reputation and one of the top MMA clubs in Ottawa. There are contracts, 3 months up front or 6 months post-dated cheques (quoted from an email Craig sent me). I didnt know Igor still stoped by, I guess whens he's in town since he moved back to Russia? Sucks he left. We had one of the top Sambo players in the world here.

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xstyle View Post
    Dennis Kang is not living in Ottawa. I think he's based in Montreal and just comes once a week to teach at the Mixed Martial Arts and Fitness Academy (run by Stephane D'amour, an ex-FangShenDoer).

FIT MMA has a really good reputation and one of the top MMA clubs in Ottawa. There are contracts, 3 months up front or 6 months post-dated cheques (quoted from an email Craig sent me). I didnt know Igor still stoped by, I guess whens he's in town since he moved back to Russia? Sucks he left. We had one of the top Sambo players in the world here.
    He teaches there once a week but will be offering more classes throughout the week I hear.
    Craig is a great teacher. I'd suggest trying FIT (no gi BJJ) ,Ronin and OAMA. let us know how you find them.

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are talking about Kang teaching once a week or Igor at FIT??

Page 1 of 2 12 Last